WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts | December 1, 2017

Screen Shot 2017-11-09 at 8.55.44 PM

PRESTIGIOUS POLITICIANS  

Among the multiple Rutgers alumni named to PolitickerNJ and InsiderNJ’s lists of N.J. politicians with the most power and momentum were Shariq Ahmad, a Rutgers alumnus who previously worked for Sen. Bob Menendez (D-N.J.), and Marc Pfeiffer, a senior policy fellow at Rutgers’ Bloustein Local Government Research Center. Michael DuHaime, who graduated from Rutgers in 1995, has been ranked on the list every year since 2001. We laurel the many Rutgers alumni that were named to these impressive lists for continuing to show the world the level of the University's prestige.  

DON'T TAX REMISSION ON TUITION

As part of a national demonstration of universities, Rutgers graduate students took a stand in a “walkout” protest on Tuesday with the aim of voicing their concerns with the recently passed Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, which makes stipends and money saved in tuition remission count as taxable income. While we commend the students who participated in the demonstration for standing up for reasonable access to higher education, we dart the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act for driving against that ideal and increasing education’s financial burden. 

PROPS FOR PEDUL

Rutgers students Chisa Egbelu and Kayla Jackson are the CEO and COO of PeduL, a crowdfunding platform that allows college students to raise money for their education. The platform was launched in October, and in the past 30 days students have raised more than $6,000 through using PeduL. In the face of a rising cost of higher-education, we laurel Egbelu and Jackson for embodying the innovation and compassion of the overall Rutgers community and displaying the talent and intelligence of the University’s student body. 

SUPPORT NET NEUTRALITY

On Dec. 14, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) will vote on whether or not to deregulate net neutrality, which is the idea that the internet and its contents should be universally and equally accessible no matter how much a person is willing to pay. The chairman of the FCC, Ajit Pai, is strongly against rigid net neutrality rules and would like for people willing to pay more to get better internet quality and access. If the rules presently in place are rolled back, then the cost of attending college could very well rise if the University is made to pay more for quality access to the internet. We dart those within the FCC that are advocating against affordable and accessible internet for everyone, and in turn inadvertently advocating against affordable education. 

COMMUNICATION IS KEY

Rutgers Counseling, ADAP and Psychiatric Services (CAPS) gave The Daily Targum information about how people can communicate with and help someone that they think is going through a difficult time and may be experiencing depression or suicidal thoughts. CAPS’ Campus Connect Suicide Prevention training is a free training course available to members of the Rutgers community meant to educate people on mental health, potential signs of suicide and skills regarding proper communication with a student in crisis. We laurel CAPS for spreading awareness about these issues with hopes of bettering the Rutgers community.

CLASS AUDITS ARE AWESOME

Students and senior citizens have the ability to take classes offered at Rutgers without receiving credit or a grade, which can offer people a way to access a stress-free form of education. Despite the fact that this opportunity is available to students, they rarely audit classes and do not know about the fact that it is available to them. We dart the lack of knowledge and utilization of Rutgers’ class auditing system, and believe that word of the system’s existence should be spread so that students can get the most of their education. 

___________________________________________________________________________________________