WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts | November 17, 2017

Screen shot 2017-11-16 at 6.17.03 PM

STRIDES FOR YOUNG STUDENTS

The Rutgers Future Scholars Program chooses 200 low-income, first-generation middle school students from New Brunswick, Piscataway, Newark, Camden and Rahway who exemplify academic excellence to receive a full scholarship. During their high school and college years, students are able to benefit from summer courses, team building seminars, academic tutoring and mentoring along with other opportunities that encourage and motivate personal growth and future success. We laurel the Rutgers Future Scholars Program for working to aid young students who lack access to a higher education due to marginalization and inequality. 

DON’T DETER DREAMERS

The number of DREAMers, or students of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival (DACA), has declined in New Jersey and nationwide. In the United States, 70,000 recipients did not renew their status under DACA, which the program requires them to do every two years. According to NorthJersey.com, a national online survey by United We Dream, the National Immigration Law Center and the Center for American Progress revealed that approximately 20 percent of poll-takers who were able to renew their status, did not take action to do so. These respondents stated that they were afraid of being detained by law-enforcement. We dart the policies under President Donald J. Trump’s administration that deter should-be DACA recipients from renewing their status and make them think that they should remain hidden.

TRANSFORMATIVE TECHNOLOGY

Rutgers researchers have developed new technology that can turn a solid surface into a touch-screen. The device, called VibWrite because it works by transmitting high-frequency vibrations through the surface it is mounted on, will allow the user to unlock things like his or her front door, car or any other lock by drawing a pattern or gesture on the surface. We laurel the Rutgers scientists involved with this invention for helping to maintain the University’s high standing in terms of scientific research.  

STOP THE ANTI-SEMITISM

Due to the increased number of instances of anti-Semitism speech and graffiti on and off campus, members of the Jewish community and Rutgers Hillel felt compelled to hold an event aiming to foster conversation about the connection between Kristallnacht and anti-Semitism across the country. The discussion included the recent discovery of swastikas graffitied around College Avenue, while also focusing on controversial social media posts made by Michael Chikindas, a professor in the Department of Food Sciences. While we commend Rutgers Hillel for remaining steadfast in promoting inclusivity, we dart the recent displays of anti-Semitism at Rutgers that detract from the all-encompassing environment of acceptance that the University works hard to maintain.

FOOTBALL WITH FRIENDS 

On Wednesday, Chris Ash, the head coach of the football team, sent out an email thanking all of the students for their support throughout the season. As a token of his gratitude, he is offering all Rutgers students the opportunity to bring two friends from outside of the University to the Michigan State game on Nov. 25 for free. We laurel the Rutgers Athletic Department for providing students with an incentive to build support around the football team and attend the game over Thanksgiving break.

FUNDS ARE NOT FOR FOSSIL FUELS

"Paradise Papers," leaked financial documents that reveal details about offshore accounts, have shown that Rutgers is among the top U.S. universities using offshore funds to avoid domestic taxes as well as grow their endowment funds. The documents revealed that the University isinvesting in EnCap Energy Capital Fund IX-C, a Cayman Islands-based hedge fund that invests primarily in oil and gas companies. We dart the University for investing its endowment money in fossil fuels despite their apparent efforts through the 2030 Master Plan to promote environmental consciousness and green construction on campus. 

___________________________________________________________________________________________