WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts | November 3, 2017

laurels_and_darts

POWER TO THE STUDENTS

New Jersey Student Power, an organization devoted to developing networks of student activists, and Anakbayan New Jersey, a Filipino-American group that advocates for free education and social services, held their first meeting for the New Jersey Student Power Network on Saturday. The event encouraged students of all different perspectives to attend and served to unite otherwise disparate groups through the common goal of political change. We laurel the two organizations involved in kick-starting this event for enabling student activists to share strategies and collectively find solutions to common problems.

OUT-OF-STATE REBATE

As a result of a steady decrease in University funding coming from the state, Rutgers has been forced to resort to accepting more out-of-state and international students to balance out the budget with revenue from their tuition, which is more than double that of what in-state students pay. As a result of this, fewer students from New Jersey will be accepted. While increasing the number of foreign and out-of-state students will end up working to benefit Rutgers’ diverse environment, we dart the government officials in Trenton for taking money away from public education and making it more difficult for New Jersey residents to attend their state university.

CHALLENGE FOR CHARITY

This coming Sunday, the Rutgers and St. John’s men’s basketball teams will play a charity exhibition game to raise money for American Red Cross Disaster Relief. All of the proceeds from the game will be donated to this cause. Tickets are $10 for members of the public and free for students. We laurel Rutgers and St. John’s men’s basketball teams for taking the time to host a good-spirited event for such a good reason.

ANTI-SEMITISM IS ANTI-RUTGERS

Michael Chikindas, a professor in the Department of Food Sciences, made Facebook posts which included criticisms of Israeli policies and the U.S.’s relationship with Israel, as well as offensive anti-semitic expressions. Jewish students at Rutgers have been made to feel uncomfortable and disrespected by this professor’s comments. We dart the comments that Chikindas made that are contrary to the values of acceptance and respect that we express as a University.

HELYAR HELPS STUDENTS

Rutgers’ Helyar House is a residential hall on campus that gives financially needy students affiliated with the School of Environmental and Biological Sciences the opportunity to reduce their cost of living by taking part in jobs on campus. These jobs include cleaning the stables and feeding and caring for the animals on Cook campus’ farm. We laurel the Helyar House for helping to lighten the cost of living on campus, which can be debilitating and lead students to commute or drop out.

VANDALISM TARNISHES VIEWPOINTS

On Sunday, multiple instances of anti-fascist graffiti were found on University buildings, including Brower Commons, Stonier Hall and the College Avenue Student Center. The graffiti featured crossed-out swastikas and phrases like, “f*ck nazi scum,” “f*ck white nationalists” and “f*ck fascism.” While it is encouraging to see that people at Rutgers are passionate about voicing an opposition to the recent activity of hate groups on campus, this is not the correct way to go about doing it. We dart the fact that vandalism was used to express these opposing views.