April 25, 2018 | ° F

Alexander Library evacuated due to suspicious package

The RU ALERT was sent out shortly after 10 p.m.

Doggie

K-9 units were used at Alexander Library late Thursday night after reports of a suspicious package.

Students were evacuated from Alexander Library shortly after 10 p.m. due to a report of an unattended package, said a University spokesperson.

"At approximately 10:10 p.m. this evening the occupants of Alexander Library on College Avenue were evacuated following the report of an unattended package in the building," the spokesperson said in an email.

The Rutgers University Police Department is working with the Middlesex County Prosecutor's Office and the New Jersey State Police to investigate.

The RU ALERT said, "Please evacuate Alexander Library due to a temporary issue within the building."

Dimitri Rodriguez

Police ushered students out of the library late Thursday night after reports of a suspicious package. The library reopened around 1 a.m.

Among rumors of bomb threats, students were evacuated and a K-9 unit was released around the perimeter and within the building. After the unit was finished searching through trash bins, police reentered the building. 

"We were attempting to study," Ally Angels, a School and Arts and Sciences junior said. "Some man came up to us and said we need to leave ... he said the fire department needed to come clear the building, and it's going to take 15 minutes." 

A second RU ALERT was issued around 12:50 p.m., stating Alexander Library was going to resume scheduled operating hours and is currently open.

Alexandra DeMatos

Alexandra DeMatos is a correspondent @ The Daily Targum. She is a senior, majoring in journalism and media studies. Follow her on Twitter @DeMatosA for more. 

Chloe Dopico

chloedopico@gmail.com

Chloe Dopico is an associate news editor at The Daily Targum. She is double majoring in political science and journalism and media studies. Follow her on Twitter @ChloeDopico for more.