Anti-immigration flyers found by Douglass Student Center

flyer-dimitri12.17

Prior to being found near Douglass campus, flyers were posted on George Street which read “America is a white nation” and “it is your civic duty to report illegal aliens.”

This Thursday, flyers calling for “white Americans” to report "illegal aliens" were found in front of the Douglass Student Center.

Prior to their appearance on campus, the same flyers were reportedly spotted on George Street by a student and uploaded to the Rutgers Class of 2018 Facebook page. The flyers read, "they are criminals, America is a white nation.”

Listed on these flyers was the number for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) a 24/7 hotline steered by the Department of Homeland Security to report those who may be suspected, according to their website. 

Kathren Jones, a School of Arts and Sciences senior, said she saw two flyers occupying the same pole posted in front of the student center after leaving an event held at the Douglass Student Center around 8 p.m.

“I usually check out the poles for cool posters and events so when I saw it I stopped to read it,” she said. “My friend and I read it twice to make sure we weren’t taking down someone’s poster for no reason, but it was racist. Calling for ‘white Americans’ to report 'illegal aliens’, calling them all criminals and claiming America to be a white nation.”

Jones said she was able to remove one of the flyers without tearing it, but that the second ripped when she took it down, and kept the flyer to show others. 

The website, Bloodandsoil.org, is written at the bottom left corner of the flyers. The address links to a website with the words “the future that must be” written across its front page and a brief description of the page’s mission statement “a new front must open within this American nation.”

Earlier this semester, The Daily Targum reported that flyers for a white-supremacist group, Identity Evropa, were found on the College Avenue, Livingston and Douglass campuses. In addition to a hand-written “Black Lives Don’t Matter” sign glued to the inside of an EE bus. 

The Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) did not find any posters and no report was made, according to a University spokesperson.

Christian Zapata

Christian Zapata is a correspondent for The Daily Targum. He is majoring in journalism and media studies and minoring in philosophy.