Anti-immigration graffiti found on Busch

Targum Graffiti
Photo by Facebook |

Anti-immigration graffiti found outside of the Interfaith Mediation/Prayer Room on Busch campus is currently under investigation by the Rutgers Police Department (RUPD). 

On Thursday, graffiti that read, “No immigrants aliens” and “Dear Mr. T: Build the Wall! Now.” was found outside the Interfaith Mediation/Prayer Room on Busch campus.

Nafisa Tanjeem, a Class of 2017 graduate, posted images of the wall adjacent to the room where the graffiti was posted onto her Facebook page after a student sent her pictures.

“A friend of mine, who is a current Ph.D. student, reached out to me on Facebook last night (Thursday). She informed me that she went to the Interfaith Mediation Room at (the) Busch Campus Center on the same day at around 2:30 p.m. to pray and then she found two graffitis on the wall,” she said. 

Tanjeem said she submitted a bias incident report and contacted Vice Chancellor of Diversity and Inclusion Jorge Schement along with Felicia McGinty, the vice chancellor of Student Affairs. They both confirmed that the Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) is investigating the situation and is working with Busch Student Center staff to remove the graffiti.

The Interfaith Mediation spaces, run by the Rutgers Ahlul-Bayt Student Association (ABSA), provides a retreat for prayer, meditation and spiritual activities for people of all faiths and religious traditions, according to its Facebook. 

“We are of the opinion that education, solidarity and showing love in the face of hate is the most effective way to deal with any type of oppressive speech or behavior. We will approach this situation in the same manner,” Hiba Raza, an ABSA spokesperson said in an email to The Daily Targum.

The School of Arts and Sciences senior said ABSA always supported UndocuRutgers, refugees and minorities, as well as the local community, regardless of race, religion and socioeconomic status. She said that the organization has yet to release an official statement and would rather the voices of those directly affected speak for themselves. 

“What often happens is allies drown out those directly affected. It is our job as allies to raise up and provide an audience and a platform as well as support for the students who feel personally attacked," Raza said.

The University was unable to comment by the time of publication. 

Erica D'Costa

Erica D'Costa is a School of Arts and Sciences junior. She is a staff writer for The Daily Targum.