A twist on a classic cookie recipe for National Cookie Day

20171203_114808
Photo by Julia Terranova |

As final exams approach, Rutgers students will look for any excuse to celebrate. If you're in desperate need of a study break, take out your stress and frustration in the kitchen. Dec. 4 is National Cookie Day, so grab a friend and some ingredients and get baking. 

It's widely believed that the first cookies were invented centuries ago, when bakers would test small samples of cake batter on baking sheets. Eventually people realized that these little cakes were delicious on their own, and recipes for cookies were developed. Persia is credited with creating some of the oldest cookies in the world — they used chickpea flour for a sweet treat that stayed fresh for months. 

Another cookie with very old roots is the shortbread cookie. Like a cake, shortbread is typically baked in a pan, then sliced into individual cookies. In the United States, shortbread cookies are less common, and the butter cookie is the American take on the English classic. American butter cookies are very similar to the English shortbread, and the simple butter cookie base is used to make a variety of different cookies.

The chocolate chip cookie is probably the most famous and most popular cookie in America. As we know it, the chocolate chip cookie was invented in 1938 by American chef Ruth Graves Wakefield. Wakefield owned an inn in Massachusetts called the Toll House Inn, where she often cooked and baked for her guests. She added a chopped Nestle chocolate bar to a different butter cookie recipe, and the chocolate chip cookie was born. 

Today's cookie recipe puts a twist on the original chocolate chip cookie, calling for oat flour instead of all-purpose flour. In addition to classic chocolate chips, it also incorporates dried cherries and dried coconut flakes to create a tart, rich cookie. 

To make oat flour, simply place old-fashioned oats into a blender or food processor and blend until very fine. 

Coconut Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies (makes about four dozen cookies)

Ingredients:

1 ¾ cups all purpose flour

½ cup oat flour 

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp salt

1 ½ sticks butter, softened

¾ cup granulated sugar

¾ cup packed brown sugar

1 tsp vanilla extract

2 large eggs

1 ½ cups semisweet chocolate chips

½ cup toasted coconut flakes

½ cup dried cherries

½ cup old-fashioned oats 

Sea salt (for sprinkling)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Farenheit. 

2. Combine flours, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl — set aside. 

3. In a large bowl, beat butter, both sugars and vanilla extract until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs one at a time. 

4. Gradually beat in flour mixture — be careful not to over mix. 

5. Stir in chocolate chips, coconut flakes, dried cherries and oats. 

6. Drop by the rounded tablespoon onto non-greased baking sheets. 

7. Bake for 14 minutes or until edges are firm to the touch and golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. 

Julia Terranova