New York Yankee spreads Hess truck holiday cheer to children's hospital

cecilHessTruck
Photo by Patch |

After donating Hess Trucks in 2015, former New York Yankee Cecil Fielder visited the kids at Children’s Specialized Hospital in New Brunswick with an updated model of Hess's yearly toy release just in time for Christmas.

Former New York Yankee Cecil Fielder took the opportunity to spread holiday cheer yesterday by visiting patients at the Children’s Specialized Hospital in New Brunswick.

The hospital specializes in patients with brain injuries, spinal cord dysfunction, complications due to premature birth and other health challenges, according to a press release. 

Fielder, who played for the Yankees from 1996 to 1997, spent the afternoon at the hospital distributing toys including the 2017 Hess Dump Truck and Loader to children. In 2015, he visited the hospital for the first time, where he signed autographs, posed for photos and delivered that year's Hess Truck model to more than 60 patients.

The Dump Truck and Loader features hydraulic-powered lifting bed, LED lights, realistic sound effects and other features, according to the press release. The entire toy — including the truck and the loader — boast 350 parts each, making it the most intricate Hess toy to date. Hess, a Trenton based company, announced the 2017 toy truck on Nov. 1. 

This year's toy release includes a new science, technology, engineering and math curriculum (STEM) with eight lessons. The curriculum can be used by teachers and parents as a learning tool to help teach core STEM concepts such as lifting forces, leverage, degrees of freedom and is made available for free download with every purchase, according to Hess's site

Hess began selling its toy trucks in 1964, after Leon Hess took over his father’s oil delivery service in Asbury Park to create what would become to modern-day gas and oil company. Originally, Hess sold its toy trucks at gas stations around the country, but ended that practice in 2014 when Hess sold its gas stations, according to NJ Advanced Media.

The first Hess toy truck was a gas tanker with an oil funnel, according to NJ Advanced Media. Since its inception, the list has grown to include firetrucks, spaceships, helicopters and more. 

The Children’s Specialized Hospital is a non-profit organization with a goal to lead the way for children with special health challenges to a brighter future.  

Fielder also participated in events regarding hurricane relief for Puerto Rico and Houston in November. Fielder was one of many current and retired baseball players to participate in former Major League Baseball (MLB) player Ivan Rodriguez’s event benefitting the two areas. There, the roster of players assembled holiday gift packages for victims of the storms, as well as attending an auction dinner in Las Colinas. 

"It's been great," Rodriguez told the MLB. "The cities of Arlington, Fort Worth and Dallas, and the whole community, has been great and donating a lot of food and water and generators. Puerto Rico appreciates that."

Chloe Dopico

chloedopico@gmail.com