Rutgers vs. Fordham: Four Observations from the 75-63 victory

CoreySandersFordham

After a sloppy first half that included 8 turnovers, the Rutgers men's basketball team cleaned things up in the second half and was able to pull away for a 75-63 victory over Fordham.

Here are four observations from the Scarlet Knights' (9-3, 0-2) third consecutive win.

Corey Sanders is 1K

The junior guard from Lakeland, Florida scored his 1,000th career point with 37 seconds left in the first half on a flashy hesitation layup. It was a fitting way for him to achieve that milestone, as he has made a name for himself on the Banks with his flashy play.

On the night, Sanders had 12 points to go along with 5 rebounds and 5 assists. And despite fouling out and having 6 turnovers, he made history on Tuesday and his team came away with the win.

Candido Sa looked like a valuable depth player

Sa had a career-high in points with 10, while having a very efficient night shooting the ball. He did not miss a shot, going 4-4 from the field and despite being a very poor career free-throw shooter, he made both of his attempts from the charity stripe. His length down low proved to be a problem for Fordham and his ability to knock down mid-range jump shots made him very difficult to defend. 

Mike Williams is finding his form again

The fifth-year senior and captain had a slow start to the season, but has been playing at a much higher level as of late. He was 75 percent from the floor against NJIT, 72 percent against Fairleigh Dickinson with 17 points and had another double-digit scoring game against the Rams with his 10 points. He has been playing much more aggressively in the paint and around the basket, where he thrives. He has been rebounding the ball very well and his presence on the offensive glass has led to several second-chance opportunities for the Knights.

Team shooting has improved

Rutgers had another strong night from the floor, going 49 percent on field goal attempts. The Knights are right around 50 percent in their last three games, a sign that they are beginning to heat up. It will be interesting to see if the team can limit the drop off against difficult competition such as No. 15 Seton Hall and Big Ten teams, but earlier in the year, Rutgers was not shooting the ball well against bad teams so this is a step in the right direction. Due to their strong defense, the Knights will put themselves in position for multiple upset wins this season if they can put forth average performances shooting the ball.

For updates on the Rutgers men's basketball team, follow @GriffinWhitmer and @TargumSports on Twitter.

Griffin Whitmer