July 20, 2018 | ° F

Starbucks slated to reopen at The Yard in 2018

The Starbucks at The Yard

After closing earlier this semester, Starbucks will reopen at The Yard next year under new management led by the company. 

The Starbucks located at The Yard @ College Avenue is set to reopen at the start of 2018, after closing this past semester. 

“We are happy to confirm we are in the early stages of reopening the Starbucks at The Yard @ College Avenue on the Rutgers—New Brunswick campus in Winter 2018," a Starbucks spokesperson said in an email.

The spokesperson said that the location was previously licensed and operated in partnership with a third party, but will now be operated directly by Starbucks.

Earlier this year, The Daily Targum reported that the coffeehouse chain’s College Avenue location was shut down as a result of contractual issues between Starbucks and the New Brunswick Development Corporation (DEVCO), the company that operates The Yard.

The Starbucks was expected to reopen about three weeks after its initial closure on Jan. 20 but for a majority of the Fall 2017 semester, the coffee shop was closed.

With this venue reopening, students will once again have a choice between three permanent Starbucks locations and the mobile truck, which is owned and operated by Rutgers Dining Services, each within a 1/2-mile radius of the College Avenue campus, according to another report by the Targum.  

Ryan Stiesi

Ryan Stiesi is a School of Arts and Sciences junior majoring in journalism and media studies and minoring in entrepreneurship. He is an Associate News Editor @ The Daily Targum.