July 19, 2018 | ° F

WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts | December 8, 2017

Screen Shot 2017-11-09 at 8.55.44 PM

CONGRATS CADETS

Five senior cadets in Rutgers’ Air Force ROTC, Detachment 485, will move on to preparation for careers in the U.S. military after they graduate this year. Colin Chehanske, Sean Han, Mallory Kusakavitch, Jackie Nazario and Yesenia Padilla are in their fourth year of the leadership-based program that aims to set cadets up for service as commissioned officers. Future military positions of these students include intelligence officer, cyberspace operations, aircraft maintenance and space operations. We laurel Rutgers’ Air Force ROTC and the senior cadets for their hard work and dedication to service to our country. 

TOO MANY PART-TIMERS

Rather than hire tenure-track professors, the University opts to keep a significant number of part-time lecturers on staff — the largest number in the Big Ten. This is likely because it is easier to control a department if it consists mostly of faculty that are not tenured. Part-time lecturers also likely grade students more easily because they need positive evaluations to be brought back each year, which may lead to a less competitive classroom environment. We dart the University’s system of hiring an excessive amount of part-time lecturers because it leaves less room for professors who wish to get tenured and threatens the prestige of the University's courses. 

BALD BILLS 

Last Thursday, the fundraiser “Battle of the Bald” at the St. Baldrick’s Foundation raised more than $10,000 to go toward cancer research. Twenty-seven participants waited in line to have their heads shaved in front of a crowd of about 150 people in the name of finding a cure and showing the community that they care. We laurel the St. Baldrick’s Foundation as well as the organizers and participants of this event for their selflessness and success in helping raise money to save lives. 

TRANSPARENCY IS NECESSARY

The University has saved nearly $70 million since 2009 by decreasing its carbon footprint, but at the same time it utilizes offshore “blocker” firms to invest its endowment money in oil and gas companies. This sheds light on the blatant lack of transparency on the administration’s side, and may show that the University cares more about money than the environment. While we commend RUSA for working toward making Rutgers 100 percent renewable-energy sourced, we dart the administration’s lack of transparency in terms of its investments and means of generating revenue. 

VARIOUS VIEWPOINTS 

On Tuesday, Young Americans For Liberty (YAL) invited Christina Hoff Sommers, a prominent critic of today’s feminist movement, to speak at the Douglass Student Center in front of a group of more than 100 students. Sommers discussed her views about what she calls “radical feminism” and students’ lack of exposure to libertarian and conservative opinions on the topic. Though Sommers is seen by some to be controversial, we laurel YAL for bringing her to campus and allowing her to share her thoughts, as it is important to encourage different viewpoints in order to work toward progress. 

TRAVEL BAN IS BEAT

On Monday, the U.S. Supreme Court confirmed the third version of President Donald J. Trump’s travel ban, allowing it to be fully implemented. Some countries which have citizens that are included in the temporary ban are Iran, Libya, Syria, Yemen, Somalia and Chad. Barring people from Muslim-majority countries from entering the United States only serves to disparage the Muslim community in the U.S. and create an excuse for xenophobia. We dart the travel ban and its imminent negative effects on diversity. 

______________________________________________________________________________________________