BOZTEPE: Keeping personal notebooks may have multiple benefits

Opinions Column: Kaanotations

In the modern technological age, we do not see many students writing in notebooks anymore, but rather typing away and multitasking on their laptops. As we see this increase in technology, more and more people will lean away from using pen and paper. In this article I will not be defending the use of paper as we can write on tablets in pen form or use different reusable paper alternatives  but instead the importance of writing daily in a notebook. There are many benefits that I will include, some for goal purposes and other for psychological reasons that all stem from writing things down.

One of the simplest reasons to write things down is because you might forget them. You can trust a lot of things in your life, such as the sun setting or rising and the importance of water, but you cannot trust your memory. Your memory is not very reliable as every time we try to remember something we recreate it in our minds and play it like a film from our mental documented archives. These recreations are normally off, missing key moments and things that were said, what someone wore and so forth. If we start carrying a notebook with us we can begin to document things that we think will prove to be important in the future. They can be simple things, such as a to do list or making sure you make that dentist appointment. Taking these notes and checking them during the day can keep you fresh, focused and ready to balance out your weekly jobs. 

Another reason to start writing in a notepad would be to write your goals. Many people have goals, both short term and long term, but not many people are able to follow through with them. The reason for this is because they do not have enough of a plan. They are lacking focus and missing the key steps that could lead them to success. A written goal can help show how reasonable one’s goal is and what they need to do to achieve it. Writing down your goals will lead to a clearer mindset, helping you check off those you have achieved and add new ones for the future. 

Writing can also help someone process their emotions and alleviate stress. Think about writing in your journal as if you were talking to a friend about a specific conflict. By writing down the dilemma, you are able to pinpoint what upset you and this can open the door to unconsciously writing anything else that is causing you stress. Writing down your fears, your secrets and your problems can be used to help break free from the endless mental and psychological toll that stress brings. Instead of having the issue linger or stay unresolved, writing it down can be the first step to a solution. Journals allow you to write as you please, whether that be inflammatory, sad or sincere it does not matter. Once you look at what you wrote down you might be able to see that some of your worries are not as problematic as you once thought. 

Writing in your journal will also help improve your communication skills. When someone writes, they take the time to think of what they are saying and plan the sequence of their thoughts. If you write in your journal a few times a day, you will be able to structure your complex ideas in a more refined structure and describe exactly what you have in mind. Writing in a journal will help you eliminate stress, become more productive, improve your decision making, overcome difficult moments of life faster and record many of your memories. These are just a few of many benefits that a simple notebook can have. All it takes is a pen and paper and the will to grow and express your true self. 

Kaan Jon Boztepe is a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore double majoring in philosophy and history. His column, "Kaanotations," runs on alternate Fridays. 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Kaan Jon Boztepe