March 23, 2018 | ° F

Rutgers capture 6 event titles over weekend

After over a month break from its last competition, the Rutgers men’s track and field team wasted no time at the Towson Tiger Invitational on Saturday evening in the Bronx. Held at The Armory, the Scarlet Knights finished with six event titles and four runner-up places.

Last time out, Rutgers attended the TCNJ Winter Opener at The Armory on Dec. 2, 2017, where sophomore distance runner Jason Schweizer took the lead in the 1,000-meter with a time of 2:32.62. In both of these events, the Knights swept the podium to take the top three positions in each event.

Although fairly new to college athletics, the freshmen had a great showing this past weekend, with four different freshmen placing within the top three of their specific event.

Freshmen sprinter Taj Burgess and hurdler Boaz Madeus claimed three event wins between the two of them, with Burgess taking the 200-meter (22.0) and 400-meter (48.08), and Madeus winning the 500-meter in 1:04.35. 

Also joining them on top of the podium was sophomore distance runner Cole Pschunder in the 3,000-meter (8:38.52).

Junior sprinter Zo Aris ran to a third place finish in the 200-meter (22.22), while in the 800-meter freshman distance runner Eric Barnes and sophomore distance runner Jared Skalski crossed the line in fifth and sixth, respectively. 

Freshman hurdler Edwyn Pierre logged a new best time of 8.32 in the 60-meter hurdles for third place and added a 13th place finish in the 200-meter, as well.

With strong representation in the distance events, freshman Billy Hill finished the 1000-meter in second place with a time of 2:31.20. Sophomores Sean Martinek and Andrew Comito finished behind Hill in fifth and ninth, respectively. In the mile, senior Trent Brinkofski was able to post a fourth place finish in a time of 4:25.23.

Off the track, sophomore jumper Tobi Tella won the triple jump, leaping 15.02 meters (49’ 3.5”). Junior Jairus Paul finished close behind Tella with a 14.32-meter jump, while also claiming the long jump title with a 7.25 meters (23’ 9.5”) leap.

Additionally, Rutgers cracked the top five in the high jump as runner-up sophomore Perry Christie recorded a jump of 1.99-meters (6’ 6.25”) and junior Jordan Lorenzo placed fifth with a 1.89-meter (6’ 2.25”) jump. 

In the long jump, sophomore Patrick Warren logged the fourth farthest jump of 6.79 meters (22’ 3.5”) and sophomore Jarrod Brovero added another fourth place in the pole vault with a mark of 4.20 meters (13’ 9.25”).

Even without Burgess, the winner of the 400-meter, the Knights’ 4x400 relay team placed second in 3:19.48 with performances by Madeus, Aris, senior Jordan Jimerson and Hill.

This upcoming weekend, Rutgers will travel to Staten Island, New York to compete at the Penn Invitational on Saturday at the Ocean Breeze Athletic Complex.

For updates on the Rutgers Men's Track and Field team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Alexandra Fabugais-Inaba