March 23, 2018 | ° F

New Brunswick Library receives 10K to expand English learning services

Photo by Wikimedia |

As 1 of 20 recipients, the New Brunswick Free Public Library will utilize its $10k in grant money to fund English as a second language (ESL) programs for adults in need of education and workforce training.

Twenty U.S. public libraries received grants on Friday that provide resources to adult English-language learners in need of education and workforce training.

The $10,000 awards are meant to expand language services, and the New Brunswick Free Public Library was one of the 20 recipients. The American Dream Literacy Initiative grants are distributed by the American Library Association (ALA) and Dollar General Literacy Foundation, according to their press release

“Vast numbers of Americans rely on their public libraries for assistance with English literacy skills, high-school equivalency testing and basic technology and job skills,” said Jim Neal, the president of ALA, in the press release. “ALA is proud to enable more of this critically important work in communities across the United States, and we are grateful to the Dollar General Literacy Foundation for their ongoing support.”

The grant will allow the various winners to increase both their print and digital English as a second language (ESL) collections, increase computer access and training, give job training and promote educational and workforce development overall.

Through various resources like its website, webinars and conferences, ALA builds replicable library programs and shares them for other organizations to use and implement. It is also the oldest and largest library association in the world, according to the press release. The Dollar General Literacy Foundation has been around since 1993 and is dedicated to the advancement of literacy.

The Princeton Public Library was the other in-state recipient, according to the ALA website.

“The mission of the American Library Association is to provide leadership for the development, promotion and improvement of library and information services and the profession of librarianship in order to enhance learning and ensure access to information for all,” according to the release.  

Ryan Stiesi

Ryan Stiesi is a School of Arts and Sciences junior majoring in journalism and media studies and minoring in entrepreneurship. He is an Associate News Editor @ The Daily Targum.