Rutgers environmental and health sciences institute appoints new director

Zarbl-rutgers copy
Photo by Rutgers.edu |

As newly appointed director, Helmut Zarbl, a professor in the Department of Environmental & Occupational Health, plans to bring the Rutgers Environmental & Occupational Health Sciences Institute (EOHSI) to the forefront of environmental and occupational health research in the nation.

The Rutgers Environmental & Occupational Health Sciences Institute (EOHSI) is adding a new director to its administration — Helmut Zarbl, a professor in the Department of Environmental & Occupational Health.

Zarbl is the author of more than 80 research papers and book chapters. He centers his research around understanding the molecular, genetic and epigenetic mechanisms that contribute to toxicity, genetic susceptibility and other similar subjects, according to the EOHSI website. 

“My vision is for EOHSI to become the leading environmental and occupational health research institute in the nation,” Zarbl said in his strategic plan.

EOHSI is recognized internationally as a resource that supports basic, clinical research in environmental health sciences and exposure assessment. It also fosters programs in environmental health education and public policy, according to the EOHSI website

Zarbl has experience serving on several review, advisory and editorial panels for national research, according to the institute’s directory. He is also known for his contributions to the study of toxicogenomics, chemical carcinogenesis and technology.

“We look forward to the energy and enthusiasm that Dr. Zarbl brings to his new position,” said Brian Strom, chancellor of Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences. 

Zarbl will aid EOHSI in extending its reach to include Rutgers faculty who are interested in environmental health, Strom said. 

In order to successfully improve EOHSI, Zarbl’s main strategy includes recognizing areas within the institute that need improvement in order to take advantage of “missed opportunities.” Through this, he wishes to not only better develop the institute as it exists now, but to improve it for the future generations, according to his plan.

His strategic plan includes competing for a Superfund grant, working with other Rutgers entities to create research initiatives and allotting more resources to the institute itself. 

“My metric for success is handing to (the) next director a world class research and teaching institution that has significant impact on environmental health worldwide,” Zarbl said. 

Stephen Weiss