DEMATOS: To my second home, The Daily Targum, thank you

From the Editor's Desk

The first time I ever read The Daily Targum was in 2015 – the special magazine-style summer edition that was sent right to my front door. I remember picking it up and reading every word on every page – after all, the Targum was the reason that I chose to transfer to Rutgers my sophomore year over the other schools that I applied to. My eyes scanned the list of editorial board members, and it was at that moment that I set my mind on becoming a member. Fast forward a few months, and I was caucused in as the copy editor of Board 148. Fast forward a year, and I was caucused in as the editor-in-chief of Board 149.

To many at Rutgers, the Targum is somewhat of a mystery. Most don't realize that the Targum is a windowless office in downtown New Brunswick packed full of 18 to 22-year-old college students working day and night to put out a daily newspaper. Most also don't realize that this windowless office will become your second (honestly, maybe even first) home.

When you spend more than 60 hours a week working with other Rutgers students, you make incredible relationships while also getting first-hand experience of the real world of journalism. It is, without a doubt, difficult to be an editor at the Targum, but you will come out of your position with experience and knowledge that no class or internship can teach you. You spend the agonizing hours waiting on deadlines, write and edit countless stories, design pages and do it again day in and day out – in the meantime, you learn more about your coworkers than you probably ever wanted to know, but that’s okay because at the end of the day, you will never have a working experience quite like the Targum ever again.

The Targum welcomed me to Rutgers as a transfer student with open arms. It gave me a space on campus to call my own, just like it did for the 147 editorial boards that came before me, and like it will for all of the rest to come. In the Targum office you eat, sleep, laugh and cry – you grow up – alongside some of the best people you will ever meet.

This year is special because we have officially caucused in the 150th Editorial Board, and I could not be prouder of the editors taking on the challenge of running the second-oldest college newspaper in the United States. They are taking on the challenge of continuing to prepare the Targum for the digital age and the slow transition away from print. At the same time, they learned the art that is putting out a hard copy of a newspaper five days a week and the love and dedication that goes into it.

Thank you, Board 149, for trusting me to lead you through a turbulent time in the world of journalism. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to befriend each and every one of you and for teaching me what I could not teach you. I could not have asked for a better set of editors to spend late nights with at 204 Neilson St.

To Board 150, I wish nothing but the best of luck. To Khaula and Saige, thank you for dedicating yourselves to a year of hard, testing work – it will be difficult, but at the end of the day, you will come out changed and without a single regret. After all, there is no better place to grow on campus other than the Targum. 

If you’ve heard of the Targum and have been considering joining, I urge you to visit the office as soon as you can. You will find students just like you who want to help you jump-start your career in journalism, and you will become part of 150 years of Rutgers history.

The Daily Targum is, at the end of the day, not just a college newspaper. We are Rutgers, we are New Jersey and we are part of the country’s history, and that will never change. Here’s to another 150 years of the best college newspaper around.

Alexandra DeMatos is a School of Arts and Sciences senior double majoring in journalism and media studies and women’s and gender studies. She is the former editor-in-chief of The Daily Targum.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Alexandra DeMatos

Alexandra DeMatos is a correspondent @ The Daily Targum. She is a senior, majoring in journalism and media studies. Follow her on Twitter @DeMatosA for more.