June 22, 2018 | ° F

14 Rutgers affiliates receive grants for personal study programs

p5-fulbright-wikimedia

Fulbright grants will award 14 Rutgers affiliates the opportunity to pursue their own individually-designed study, research project or English teaching assistant program. This is the ninth year that Rutgers—New Brunswick has ranked as one of the top producers of Fulbright scholars. 

For the ninth year in a row, Rutgers—New Brunswick has ranked among the top producers of Fulbright scholars.

Fourteen Rutgers students and alumni received Fulbright grants this year as part of the Fulbright U.S. Student Program, which is sponsored by the Department of State and awards approximately 1,500 grants to U.S. students yearly, according to a press release.

Students that apply to the Fulbright program are generally seniors nearing graduation, but graduate students and alumni can also apply, according to the press release. The program provides grants for individually designed study or research projects, or for English teaching assistant programs.

“This exemplifies our commitment to serving the public good by providing excellent education and outstanding research that enhances the quality of life for our students and for society as a whole,” University Chancellor Debasish Dutta said.

Last year, the New Brunswick campus was named one of the nation’s “Top Producers of Fulbright Scholars and Students” by The Chronicle of Higher Education, as 14 students earned the prestigious award in the 2016-2017 academic year.

Recipients live, work and learn in the country hosting them. Countries that will be hosting Rutgers Fulbright scholars include Taiwan, India and the Czech Republic.

To apply, the student must also be a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree before the start date of the grant, be in good health and proficient in the written and spoken language of their host country.

Alexandra DeMatos

Alexandra DeMatos is a correspondent @ The Daily Targum. She is a senior, majoring in journalism and media studies. Follow her on Twitter @DeMatosA for more.