Cold-Weather Conundrums

Cold-Weather Conundrums

Written By: Nancy Pearson | President of Nancy Pearson Design 

I was born and raised in New Jersey, so you would think that I’d be used to the cold. But I’m not--and, to be honest, I hate it! I hate the winter, and I never feel like I’m getting enough sun or exercise. I feel down, bored, and depressed. My friends say I’m less fun to be around, but when I wake up in the morning and it’s so much colder outside of my bed than in it, I just feel like staying there all day. How can I enjoy winters more?

There’s a lot that you can do to enjoy winter a bit more, but it’s also important to pay pay close attention to the things that you’re experiencing and to consider the possibility that you may need a bit of a helping hand from a professional. It’s quite possible that you’re suffering from seasonal affective disorder (which also goes by the acronym SAD, appropriately enough).

Of course, there are a few things that anyone can do to improve their winter. For starters, note technicians at Jersey City, New Jersey residential heating repair company Duffy Energy, you may need to get your home or apartment heating system checked (or contact your school if this issue is happening on campus). While chilly winter mornings are few peoples’ idea of a good time, they’re also something you should be able to combat with the touch of a thermostat--or a tap of a smartphone, if you have a smart home heating system.

It sounds like you’re not doing much with your winter time, which could mean that you’d be better off tackling the cold head-on and adopting a winter sport. Could it be that your summers are full of physical activity--activity that you (and your body) miss when the cold weather comes around and you shut yourself up inside? Some people get down in winter because of a lack of activity, giving them an easy solution to the problem: get out there and move!

If taking on the cold is too much for you, you could also flee it. While we think of summer as the most typical vacation season, plenty of us take trips in the winter, too--3.1 million of us each year, to be exact. Vacation destinations in the south are popular this time of year, making this a good time to explore Henry County or visit relatively moderate winter locales in the mid-Atlantic or coastal West regions. Or you could head all the way down to sunny Florida and beyond--get all the way to the Southern Hemisphere, and you’ll be in summer once again!

Again, though, it’s important to note that your reaction to the season may run deeper than your dislike of cold weather and lazy days. Seasonal affective disorder is very real, and as many as a quarter of us may suffer from either SAD or its more serious cousin, winter depression. You may want to speak to a doctor or take advantage of your on-campus resources to learn more about the disorder and what you can do about it.

“Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home.” -- Edith Sitwell

Scholarship Media