October 17, 2018 | ° F

Former Scarlet Knights don new colors at Super Bowl 52

mccourty-flickr
Photo by Flickr |

Devin McCourty of the New England Patriots led all defensive backs with six tackles last night. During his time at Rutgers he totaled 149 tackles, one sack, six interceptions and two touchdowns. 

Rutgers was well represented at Super Bowl 52 on Sunday as Devin McCourty, Duron Harmon and Kenny Britt of the New England Patriots all once donned the scarlet and white. Although the Patriots lost in a thrilling match, 41-33, the once Scarlet Knights did make an impact on the field. 

McCourty led all defensive backs with six tackles while Harmon added three tackles and had a crucial interception near the goal line with approximately 5 minutes left in the second quarter. Britt did not see game action. 

Leading up to the big game, McCourty, the 27th overall pick by the Patriots in the 2010 NFL Draft, totaled 80 tackles, one sack, one fumble recovery and one interception in the regular season. He added nine more tackles during the postseason.

Harmon, a third-round pick in 2013, combined for 17 tackles and four interceptions in both the regular season and the postseason as a safety.

Britt, who was taken 30th overall by the Tennessee Titans in 2009, drew in 2 touchdowns and averaged 12.8 yards per catch on 20 receptions for a total of 256 yards in 12 games with the Cleveland Browns and Patriots this year. The 29-year-old, who was once a deep threat, was inactive for the entire Patriots postseason run. 

During their time on the Banks, McCourty, Harmon and Britt all left their marks on the field. McCourty totaled 149 tackles and one sack while adding six interceptions and two touchdowns in his four years at Rutgers.

Harmon netted 83 tackles with six interceptions and 1 touchdown during his four-year career in Piscataway, with one of those years coming alongside McCourty. 

Harmon’s teammate all throughout his Rutgers years, Britt, caught 17 touchdowns with a total of 3,043 yards while rushing for 75 yards and 1 touchdown before getting drafted into the NFL. 

Despite the loss, McCourty and Harmon are still two-time Super Bowl champions, winning in 2015 against the Seattle Seahawks and in 2017 against the Atlanta Falcons. This leaves Britt still looking for his first championship ring. 

Robert Sanchez