October 17, 2018 | ° F

Netflix'n'chill funny, romantic movies for Valentine's Day

We all know Valentine’s Day is technically dedicated to embracing your significant other, but it also can be spent sitting around with some friends over a box of pizza and binge-watching movies. Because of all of the cheesy, romantic connotation that surrounds the holiday, some people would rather go without celebrating — especially single people — but surely these romantic films will make you enjoy the day a little bit more. Although cuffing season is over, this is the one day you shouldn’t have the couch to yourself. From cliché heart-wrenchers to girl-gang classics, check out some of these movies perfect for Valentine’s Day that will make you feel all the feels. 

"Titanic"

We’ll never let go … of our love for "Titanic." The 1997 film, starring Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio, returned to select theaters this past December in celebration of the movie's 20th anniversary and is still one of the most romantic movies of all time. Not only is DiCaprio everyone’s favorite heartthrob, the movie captures something so touching in the short amount of time that the ship has left. Rose, the 100-year-old woman who portrays the main character when she is older, tells her story of how it all went down. A line that struck people’s hearts is when Rose said, “A woman’s heart is a deep ocean of secrets.”

"The Notebook"

Another cliché that often comes to mind during Valentine’s Day is any Nicholas Sparks movie. Although many people often find these types of love unrealistic, Sparks captures people’s hearts every time, and is a classic romance writer that never seems to go away. The story of Noah and Allie takes place in the comfort of their North Carolina town, where they cross paths and eventually fall in love. It is not a Nicholas Sparks movie without heartbreak, recovery and sacrifice, though. This is for the females who are looking for a movie to cry about with their Galentines. Don’t forget the tissues. 

"Lady and the Tramp"

Especially appealing to those with ODD (Obsessive Disney Disorder), there’s no better way to have a corny V-Day than with this animated classic. “Lady and the Tramp” tells the story of a female Cocker Spaniel named Lady and a male stray named Tramp. When the two dogs meet, they embark on an adventure that requires sacrifice and compassion. This movie is one of Disney’s first true love stories that captures different dogs who come from different backgrounds and learn to accept each other for whom they are. 

"Bridesmaids"

If this year’s celebration is more of a Galentine’s Day for you, then gather up your girls for this star-studded, laugh-out-loud comedy. When competition between the maid of honor and a bridesmaid threatens their friendship, the ladies have to overcome their personal problems and let go of their past. On this journey, one of the bridesmaids, who is a pastry chef, finds love as she struggles with her friendships and family, which not only makes it a romance movie, but a comedy that makes everyone laugh. 

"The Princess Bride"

Not many would think to recommend this one for Valentine’s Day, but “The Princess Bride” is definitely a must-see if you are interested in a movie on the lighter side. This romantic-comedy fantasy tells the story of a farmer named Westley, who must rescue his true Princess Buttercup from Prince Humperdinck. Although this movie is a true bedtime story, it instills a romantic mood that will make everyone want to look for their prince. 

"10 Things I Hate About You" 

Have you ever wanted to know what it’s like to date a bad boy — or to change one? This modern-day take on Shakespeare’s “Taming of the Shrew” tells the story of Kat and Patrick (played by Julia Stiles and Heath Ledger, respectively), who embark on a high school romance that first starts when Kat’s father insists on allowing Bianca, her younger sister, to date only if Kat finds a boyfriend. Everyone knows Kat is antisocial, rebellious and unimpressed by her male peers, but she soon starts to fall for an unlikely suitor whose intentions are unclear. If you do not believe in fate, this movie is the perfect example of the phrase, “love is worth fighting for.” 

While there’s definitely a pressure to go out, Valentine’s Day is the perfect excuse to enjoy sitting down with your friends or special someone and “Netflix and chill.” Whether you watch a romance or a comedy, Valentine’s Day should be a day where you appreciate and spend time with the people you love. 

Elizabeth Leoce