New Brunswick police officer involved in brawl suspended without pay

front-police-google maps
Photo by Google Maps |

Anthony Jones, an officer for the New Brunswick Police Department, has been suspended without pay following a four-man brawl that reportedly occurred inside Golden Rail — a popular New Brunswick bar — despite owners denying that the fight occurred.

A New Brunswick police officer has been suspended without pay after his involvement in a bar fight on Easton Avenue, according to New Brunswick Today

Anthony Jone, 23, was off-duty when he got involved in a four-man brawl on Jan. 21 at Golden Rail Tavern, a popular bar for Rutgers students. 

The Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office (MCPO) reported the fight occurred inside Golden Rail, but the establishment itself claimed it did not, according to the article. 

“Nothing happened inside the bar,” said Shaun Farrelly, the owner of Golden Rail. "Nobody from Golden Rail door staff saw anything ... This was all news to me and the manager who was working that night." 

He said that a news article was the first time he heard of the incident. 

Jones was initially suspended on Jan. 31 with pay for off-duty misconduct, but his paychecks were revoked after the MCPO pressed criminal charges against him on Feb. 8, according to New Brunswick Today. He earned a salary of $72,850, according to My Central Jersey

"The alleged behavior, while off-duty, is held to this same standard and fails to conform to the conduct we expect from our officers and in no way represents the core values of the men and women who serve our community each day with the New Brunswick Police Department,” said James Cahill, Mayor of New Brunswick. 

Four other men, James Sanders III, 22, Ryan Marsi, 23, Steve Karasoulis, 24 and Bryan Williams, 22, were all allegedly charged with third-degree assault and fourth-degree riot.  

Erica D'Costa

Erica D'Costa is a School of Arts and Sciences junior majoring in journalism and media studies and minoring in business administration and political science. She is an Associate News Editor @The Daily Targum.