Rutgers takes 2nd place at home quad-meet

The Rutgers gymnastics team continues to improve as the season progresses, as it posted a season-high score of 194.800 on Saturday to take home second place in its fourth meet of the year.

The Scarlet Knights hosted a quad-meet in Piscataway this weekend, as Ohio State, West Chester and Wisconsin-Whitewater visited the Livingston Recreation Center in hopes of knocking off Rutgers in front of a hyped sold-out crowd. 

Ohio State had a near perfect match after tallying an astounding 195.850 points. The Knights landed in second place with the 194.800, while West Chester was a distant third with a score of 191.600 and Wisconsin-Whitewater finished in last place with 191.275. 

"I thought tonight was a great meet, another step forward," said head coach Louis Levine. "We have been preaching about getting better and better." 

Picking up right where it left off last week, Rutgers came out hot. After a very strong finish in their meet last week in East Lansing, the Knights started off looking very solid, recording a 48.750 in the vault exercise. 

Following up her stellar 9.900 performance last week, junior Jenna Rizkalla again led the way with a 9.850 in the floor exercise for Rutgers. 

Freshman Toni Williams checked in with a score of 9.775 in her collegiate debut, while fellow freshman Belle Huang raked in a 9.750. Sophomore Kaitlyn Hall accomplished her career high, scoring a 9.700. It is safe to say that the vault team was clicking on all cylinders. 

But, it was the uneven bars and balance beam where the Knights really thrived, as they accumulated season-best scores in both events. 

As for the uneven bars, Rutgers finished with a 48.825. Sophomore Shannon Farrell led that event with a score of 9.750, while senior Makenzey Shank tacked on a 9.700. 

Shank then led the team in the balance beam event with a team-high score of 9.850 to set the pace for a team score of 48.825. Senior Libby Groden contributed with a very nice score of 9.800 along with sophomore Erin McLachlan.

"It was another meet where we didn't have to count a fall. This was an enjoyable meet, the team was on from the moment they walked through the door. We will continue to build," Levine said.

For updates on the Rutgers gymnastics team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Stephan Zatz