Rutgers finishes in 14th at National Invitational Tournament

onlineonly-golfcoach-dt

The Rutgers men’s golf team completed its second tournament of 2018, the National Invitational Tournament in Tucson, Arizona, finishing in 14th place out of 16 teams. 

The National Invitational Collegiate Golf Tournament is a 54-hole tournament that spans over two days. It features some of the top teams in the country, such as No. 47 Colorado and No. 29 Arizona State. 

The tournament had a few delays due to wintery conditions, but the frost set back the start of the second day by about an hour.

The Catalina course at OMNI Tucson National has played home to more than 30 PGA Tour events, so this proves to be a difficult course for anyone. The Catalina course is a par 72 and is measured at more than 7,200 yards.

The Scarlet Knights had a rough tournament, as their play never really normalized. The team hopes to learn from playing at this challenging course and to come out stronger in the next tournament.

UNLV finished first, as it shot an 814 (50 under par). It was joined by Arizona State, who shot an 823 (41 under par), and Arizona, who shot an 830 (34 under par), to round out the top three.

As a team, Rutgers shot 883 (19 over par), finishing ahead of interstate rival Princeton University, who shot 891 (27 over par). The Knights improved their rank in the standings since their last match, when they finished 12th out of 14 teams in the Big Ten Match Play Championships. 

Rutgers was led by a number of underclassmen in sophomore Tony Jiang and freshman Oliver Whatley. Jiang shot a 217 (one over par) and tied for 49th place, while Whatley shot a 219 (three over par) tied for 53rd.

Rounding out the Knights' performance was senior captain Toks Pedro, who shot a 220 (three over par), which was tied for 68th in the tournament. Freshman Christopher Gotterup shot a 225 (nine over par), which tied for 77th, as well.

Overall, this tournament proved to be difficult for Rutgers. The team will look to get back on track to its form from earlier this season in the fall, when it plays in the Colleton River Collegiate Tournament on March 12 and 13 in Bluffton, South Carolina.

For updates on the Rutgers men's golf team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Scott Brennan