June 20, 2018 | ° F

Rutgers prepares for Metro Championships in N.Y.

p11-christie-dt

The Rutgers men’s track and field team is priming up to compete at the Metropolitan Championships on Friday in Staten Island, New York. For the second time this season, the Scarlet Knights will return to the Ocean Breeze Athletic Complex and challenge 18 other collegiate teams.

In last year’s championships, Rutgers captured the team title, while setting two new school records. Knights alumnus Emeka Eze and then-junior Christopher Mirabelli broke records in the triple jump and javelin throw. 

On his final attempt, Eze jumped 15.92 meters (52’ 2.75”) to break the 15.73-meter (51’ 7.25”) record set by Adam Bergo in 2013. In the javelin throw, Mirabelli recorded a mark of 76.20 meters (250’ 00”) to break Chris Sagnella’s 21-year-old record of 74.62 (244’ 10”).

Also highlighting the 2017 championships for Rutgers was junior Izaiah Brown. As a sophomore, Brown won an astonishing four event titles in the 400-meter (47.33), 200-meter (21.41), 4x100-meter relay and 4x400-meter relay.

Last weekend, the Knights split the team up, as the distance runners competed at the Dr. Sander Invitational on Jan. 26, while the other half of the team, the sprinters and jumpers, competed at the Columbia Challenge the following day.

At the Invite, Rutgers ran to second place in the distance medley relay. The relay team of senior Jordan Jimerson, freshman Patrick Walsh and sophomores Andrew Comito and Jared Skalski, recorded a time of 10:20.12.

Individually, freshman Boaz Madeus finished fourth in the 500-meter with a time of 1:04.11. With a new personal best of 1:06:08 in the 500-meter, junior Edward Zalek finished in the middle of the field.

Additionally, sophomore Sean Martinek posted a time of 1:55.40 in the 800-meter to finish seventh. In the mile, junior Conor Murphy and freshman Billy Hill finished fourth and sixth, respectively, with Murphy posting a lifetime best of 4:15.77.

Taking the top two spots in the 400-meter at the Columbia Challenge were Brown (47.37) and freshman Taj Burgess (47.90). Brown made his indoor debut since last competing in April 2017 during the outdoor season, where he did not attend the Big Ten Championships or NCAA Championships due to a calf injury.

On the field, sophomore Perry Christie jumped to sixth place in the high jump with a mark of 2.08 meters (6’ 9.75”), while junior Jairus Paul added a 12th-place finish in the long jump, recording a 6.80-meter (22’ 3.75”) leap. In the triple jump, sophomore Tobi Tella and freshman Ja’Quan Mial posted respective marks of 14.41 meters (47’ 3.5”) and 13.95 meters (45’ 9.25”).

The Knights hope to reclaim last years success and bring the championship back on the Banks.

For updates on the Rutgers men's track and field team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Alexandra Fabugais-Inaba