March 20, 2018 | ° F

Rutgers wins 4th straight Metropolitan Championship

The Rutgers men’s track and field team won its fourth consecutive Metropolitan Indoor Championships title on Friday evening. Looking in great form for the Big Ten Championships at the end of the month, the Scarlet Knights capped off the competition with five event titles and five runner-up finishes.

After returning to the track just last weekend, junior Izaiah Brown took care of business in his second competition of the indoor season by defending both his titles in the 200-meter and 400-meter from last year. Brown finished atop the podium with times of 21.50 and 47.69, respectively.

Rutgers dominated the 800-meter with three Knights finishing in the top four spots. Sophomore Sean Martinek paced Rutgers by posting a time of 1:54.20 for first place. Following behind Martinek was classmate Jared Skalski and freshman Eric Barnes, who recorded respective times of 1:55.02 and 1:56.36.

In the 1000-meter, another three runners ran into the top eight. Freshman Billy Hill recorded a time of 2:29.38 to finish fifth, while sophomore Jason Schweizer followed just behind to finish sixth in a time of 2:29.47 and classmate Andrew Comito squeezed into eighth place with a time of 2:30.62.

Of the five runners that were entered in the 3000-meter, junior Conor Murphy led the Knights to a fourth-place finish, while senior Trent Brinkofski followed behind to finish sixth. Placing second and third in the 5000-meter, freshman Patrick Walsh and senior Alex Livernois posted respective times of 15:03.06 and 15:06.80.

Almost 2 seconds ahead of the field, the 4x400-relay team of freshman Boaz Madeus, Brown, senior Jordan Jimerson and freshman Edwyn Pierre ran to an easy first place finish with a time of 3:17.38. Hill, Schweizer, Barnes and Skalski ran the 4x800 relay in a time of 7:51.39 for third. 

Also placing third was Comito, junior Edward Zalek, freshman Alexander Pai and Walsh in the distance medley (10:18.60).

Back at full capacity was sophomore Tobi Tella, recording a 15.10-meter (49’ 6.5”) mark in the triple jump to reclaim his title from last year. Freshman Ja’Quan Mial captured the number two spot with a jump of 13.94 meters (45’ 9”).

In the long jump, Tella added a second-place finish with a 6.90-meter (22’ 7.75”) leap ahead of junior Jairus Paul’s third place and sophomore Patrick Warren’s fourth place.

Other runner-up finishes belonged to Madeus in the 500-meter (1:03.75) and sophomore Perry Christie in the high jump (2.09 meters, 6’ 10.25”). Both Madeus and Christie posted personal bests in their particular events.

Up next, Rutgers will split up and spread out Feb. 8-9 to compete at the Valentine’s Invitational in Maryland, SPIRE Institute Invitational in Ohio and Tyson Invitational in Arkansas.

For updates on the Rutgers men's track and field team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Alexandra Fabugais-Inaba