Rutgers goes 2-2 at Bailey Memorial Tournament

p11-jones-jeff-4.17

Over the weekend, the Rutgers softball team went to Kennesaw, Georgia to compete in the Bailey Memorial Tournament at Kennesaw State to take on Kennesaw State, Florida A&M and Morehead State. 

When it was all said and done, the Scarlet Knights (5-8) came out of the tournament 2-2, with two wins against the hosting Owls and losses to the Rattlers and Eagles. 

In game one against Kennesaw State, junior pitcher Whitney Jones took to the circle for Rutgers and pitched a complete game gem that went into extra innings, allowing only 1 earned run. With the win, Jones improved her pitching record to 2-3 on the season. 

Trailing by 2 runs heading into the top of the seventh inning, the Knights managed to score 2 unearned runs thanks to a passed ball by the Eagles catcher, and tied the game up heading into the bottom of the seventh. 

After Jones shut the door in the bottom half of the seventh, junior shortstop Jess Hughes scored the go-ahead run on a sacrifice fly by sophomore designated player Nicole Bowman. Junior outfielder Nicolette Anico and freshman infielder Erin Collins also had RBIs in the win. 

In game two of the series, sophomore pitcher Cambria Keefer earned the win in the circle for Rutgers, pitching a complete game shutout en route to a 7-0 victory. Keefer improved to 2-2 on the year while striking out four batters. 

Senior first baseman Rebecca Hall stayed hot on the season, going 2-4 at the plate with two RBIs and a triple. Sophomore third baseman Anyssa Iliopoulos was 2-3 at the plate with 2 runs scored, two RBIs, and a home run. 

After sweeping the opening series against the Owls, the Knights' next game came against Florida A&M. Rutgers dropped the game 4-3 despite an incredible performance from Hall. 

In the game, Hall was 4-4 with 2 runs scored and two RBIs. She tripled and hit a home run, her 25th career long ball. Freshman pitcher Taryn Collins earned the loss in the circle, pitching one and one thirds inning, allowing 2 earned runs and three hits. Collins is now 1-2. 

In its fourth and final game of the tournament, Rutgers played Morehead State, which it lost to 6-0. Chelsea McManaway took to the circle for the Eagles, and tossed a complete game one-hitter. She also struck out eight Knights in the game. Rutgers' lone hit came from Anico, who was 1-3 in the game. 

Jones took the loss on her record for the Knights, moving to 2-4. She struggled mightily in the game, not recording a single out. She gave up 2 earned runs on four hits before being yanked from the game. Rutgers pitchers gave up 3 home runs in the loss. 

The Knights were supposed to close out the tournament with a fifth and final game on Sunday against Morehead State, but the game was canceled due to heavy rain. 

Rutgers will travel to Hampton University on Friday to play in the Pirate Invitational. There the team will take on Hampton, Maryland Eastern Shore and North Dakota. 

For updates on the Rutgers softball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Matthew Howe