June 20, 2018 | ° F

Rutgers wins 2 games in Titan Classic

Knights suffer 3 losses in California

hall-jeff

The Rutgers women’s softball team started its 2018 campaign off with a series of games at the Titan Classic, a tournament held in Fullerton, California. 

Last season, the Scarlet Knights struggled overall, finishing with a 14-37 record. They were also 5-15 in Big Ten games. This season, the squad is looking to turn things around under the direction of head coach Jay Nelson. 

Rutgers played five games this weekend and came away from the Titan Classic winning two and losing three. In their first game, the Knights lost 10-0 in six innings to Cal-Riverside. Cal-Riverside pitcher Tayler Misfeldt pitched five shutout innings, striking out nine and only allowing one hit. Rutgers finished with only two hits in the game. 

In the second game of the tournament, the Knights squared off against Fullerton, in which they lost a hard fought game, 6-5. Senior first basemen Rebecca Hall was 2-for-3 on the day, including a double, and freshman infielder Erin Collins hit a pinch-hit grand slam to pull Rutgers within 1 run. 

The Knights were losing 6-0 heading into the seventh inning and scored all 5 runs in the last frame. 

After starting the tournament 0-2, the Knights faced off against Middle Tennessee. In this game, Rutgers notched a 7-0 shutout victory for its first win of the season. Junior pitcher Whitney Jones hurled the complete game shutout, striking out four and allowing only five hits. 

Senior catcher Sierra Maddox had a great game as well, going 2-for-3 with a homerun, two RBI’s and 2 runs scored overall. Sophomore third basemen Anyssa Iliopoulos also contributed, going 1-for-2 at the plate with two RBI’s and 1 run scored. 

In the second to last game of the tournament, the Knights lost to Pittsburgh, 6-2. Rutgers sophomore pitcher Cambria Keefer suffered the loss, allowing 4 earned runs in four innings pitched. Keefer moved to 0-2 on the season with the loss. 

Pittsburgh left fielder Hunter Levesque hit her first homerun of the season, as she was 1-for-3 at the plate with two RBI’s and a run scored. 

In the final game of the tournament, the Knights put together a fine showing, beating Utah State 11-5. In this game, Hall had a monster game at the plate, going 3-for-4 with five RBI’s and 2 runs scored. She hit a double, triple and homerun in the game. 

Freshman pitcher Taryn Collins picked up her first win of the season for Rutgers in the circle, pitching the last three innings of the game and allowing 2 runs. 

At the end of this week, the Knights will travel to Puerto Vallarta to play in the Puerto Vallarta College Challenge, taking on Oregon, Texas, Ole Miss and Houston. 

For updates on the Rutgers softball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Matthew Howe