June 22, 2018 | ° F

Rutgers falls to Iowa on Senior Night at RAC

Scaife scores career-high 30 points in loss

back-scaife-garrett
Photo by Garrett Steffe |

Last night, Tyler Scaife of the Rutgers women’s basketball team had arguably one of the best games of her career. On Senior Night at the Rutgers Athletic Center (RAC), in front of a home crowd, the fifth-year senior guard scored a career-high 30 points. 

The only spoiler? The Scarlet Knights dropped the game to the Iowa Hawkeyes in overtime, 77-67. After being outscored 13-4 in the first quarter, Rutgers came roaring back in the second, winning the quarter 21-6. 

In similar fashion, Scaife was the only double-digit scorer for the Knights in the game, dropping 30 points on 14-of-28 shooting from the field. To cap off the career performance, Scaife also only had one turnover in the game. 

Junior center Victoria Harris and graduate student guard Nigia Greene each had 7 points apiece for Rutgers, with Harris adding in seven rebounds, as well. Junior forwards Stasha Carey and Caitlin Jenkins each had 6 points on the night, while Jenkins also contributed 10 rebounds. 

In overtime, Iowa went on an 18-8 run to seal the deal and secure the win. With the win, the Hawkeyes move to 22-6 on the season and are tied for third with Minnesota in the Big Ten with a conference record of 10-5.

With one game left to go before the Big Ten Tournament, the Knights fall to 19-10 on the season and 7-8 in conference play. They currently sit in ninth place in the conference, and will play Northwestern — who is 10-19 and just 3-12 in Big Ten games —  to end the regular season. 

For Iowa, a plethora of double-digit scorers helped it beat Rutgers. Megan Gustafson was red hot from the field, scoring 27 points on 10-of-14 shooting. She also hauled in a game-high 14 rebounds. 

The Hawkeyes had another 20-point scorer in Chase Coley, who dropped 20 points on 6-of-12 shooting while also shoveling out four assists on the night. Iowa’s other two double-digit scorers came from Kathleen Doyle with 14, and Makenzie Meyer who had 11. 

With one game left to go on the year, the Knights should be able to go on the road and take care of business against the Wildcats, one of the conference's bottom three teams. Rutgers also has a chance to secure its 20th win of the season, a stark difference from last year’s 6-24 finish. 

As it stands with one game to go, the Knights cannot move any higher than the ninth seed heading into the Big Ten Tournament. In front of them is Indiana, who has nine conference wins this season, putting Rutgers two games back with just one game to go. 

The only team that could catch them would be Penn State, who is a half game back at 7-8. The Nittany Lions will face Nebraska on the road on Thursday, and Nebraska is one of the Big Ten's top teams, with a conference record of 10-4. 

Because the Knights should be locked into the ninth seed come Big Ten Tournament time, they would square off with the eighth seed, and that has the possibility of being Indiana, Purdue or Michigan. 

Rutgers will travel to Chicago to take on Northwestern on Sunday at 3 p.m. 

For updates on the Rutgers women's basketball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Matthew Howe