March 23, 2018 | ° F

Rutgers crushes Monmouth for 2nd straight win

Budd scores career high 6 goals

Heading into Saturday, sophomore midfielder Samantha Budd had never scored more than 3 goals in a game. So when she scored 6 goals to help the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team win this past weekend, it was something to behold.

The Scarlet Knights (2-1) beat Monmouth (0-3) 19-8 behind Budd’s career day. Budd became just the fourth Rutgers player to score 6 or more goals in a game since 2007. Her one assist also gave her 7 points, which was the second-most in school history.

“Sam’s a great player,” said junior attacker Abbey Brooks. “She’s really dynamic, and strong on both sides of the ball. Saturday really shows how strong she comes out for every game.”

The Knights led the Hawks in almost every category. Rutgers outshot them 35-17, forced 19 turnovers to their 13, won 16 draw controls to their 13 and collected 20 ground balls to their 11.

Brooks singled out senior midfielder Alana Navaroli in particular for setting the tone with her multiple draw controls

“We really focused on possession on both sides of the ball,” Brooks said. “I think that our defense came out really strong and set the tone for the game, and that just flowed throughout the game. I also think our attack had really good movement and communication … we really put both sides of the ball together.”

The Knights found the goal 40 seconds into the game, from none other than Budd, who converted a free position shot after a foul. They scored 2 more within the first 10 minutes, and then scored 5 straight after Monmouth scored its first, including 1 more from Budd. Rutgers ended the first half with a 9-3 lead.

The Hawks opened the second half with a free-position goal of their own in the first 10 seconds, but the Knights once again scored 5 straight goals and took a 10-goal lead. The two teams then scored 1 goal apiece before Budd went off for 4 straight goals in the final 10 minutes. 

Monmouth did score 3 goals of its own in between Budd’s outburst, but it was far from enough to make up the difference.

Brooks had a hat trick to back up Budd, while three other players scored 2 goals and four more scored 1. Rutgers has had six or more players score a goal in every game its played so far.

“We had over nine contributors and goalscorers, and that speaks volumes to the Rutgers lacrosse program,” Brooks said.

The Knights’ next game is this Saturday, when they take on Delaware in their first home game of the season.

Rutgers has another game with many contributors, and Budd’s double hat trick was the icing on the cake when it came to collecting another decisive win.

"Today was a good day all around," said head coach Laura Brand Sias to "The team was focused on executing a solid 60 minutes and we developed all over the field. Obviously Sam Budd had a career day, but everyone embraced and executed their jobs well."

For updates on the Rutgers women's lacrosse team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Jordan Farbowitz