March 19, 2018 | ° F

Rutgers falls in season opener at Temple

Knights give up 12 goals in Philadelphia

The Rutgers women’s lacrosse team headed into the season with high expectations, looking to improve upon its 8-8 record last season. A loss in its opening game didn’t decrease those expectations, but showed that there are still things that need to be fixed.

Despite the first-career hat trick from senior midfielder Paige Paratore, the Scarlet Knights (0-1) lost at Temple (1-0) 12-8 on Saturday, in a game that head coach Lauren Brand Sias said had all the markings of a first game of the season.

"It definitely felt like a first game for us and there were things we need to tie up and do a better job of," Sias said.

Rutgers started off the game strong, as junior attacker Abbey Brooks found the net just more than a minute in, giving the Knights the lead. But, the Owls responded with 3 straight goals to take a 2-goal advantage, and held the lead for most of the first 30 minutes. The first half ended with Temple holding an 8-4 advantage.

“It seemed like we had a bit of the jitters for a lot of the first half and we were unable to control the controllables,” Sias said. 

After the Owls scored the first 3 goals of the second half, Rutgers started to show signs of life with less than 10 minutes remaining. 

The team scored 4 straight goals to make it a 3-goal game with just more than five minutes remaining. But the Knights were unable to get any closer, and Temple scored another goal a few minutes later to ice the game.

Outside of Paratore’s hat trick, Rutgers had five different players score their first goals of the season. Brooks, sophomore attacker Jordan Drab, junior midfielder Allie Ferrara, senior attacker Joanna Reilly and sophomore midifielder Samantha Budd all found the net once in the losing effort. 

Budd in particular had a notable game, adding an assist to her lone goal, while her 12 face-off wins tied a program record.

“On the positive side, we did a really nice job on the draw and had stretches in the second half where collectively we were doing nice things on both sides of the ball,” Sias said.

On the defensive side, junior goalkeeper Devon Kearns collected eight saves in the loss.

The Knights’ next game is at Long Island University—Brooklyn tomorrow at 4 p.m. 

“... we just need to move past this one and do a better job in our next game,” Sias said.

For updates on the Rutgers women's lacrosse team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Jordan Farbowitz