March 23, 2018 | ° F

Rutgers to split up for 2 invitationals over weekend

Knights will head to Boston and Geneva, Ohio

The Rutgers women’s track and field team will be facing a difficult challenge this weekend, as it prepares for two separate meets across the country.

Some of the athletes will be heading to Boston to compete in the David Hemery Valentine's Invitational hosted by Boston University, while the rest of the team will travel to Geneva, Ohio for the SPIRE Institute Invitational on Saturday. 

The Scarlet Knights hope to continue the momentum they built last week, when they were crowned Metropolitan Indoor Champions this past Friday after four event wins powered Rutgers to the title.

Fifth-year senior Bryanna Grant was the biggest standout from this past weekend and hopes to build on her performance going into this weekend. Last week, Grant won the triple jump for the third year in a row with a distance of 12.14 meters (39' 9.95"). It was the ninth triple jump title she has collected during her time with the Knights. 

Other members of the team looking to have standout performances include junior Oniesha Clarke and freshman Courtney Campbell.

Last week, Clarke had a phenomenal performance, bringing home two event titles. The Waterbury, Connecticut native won the 60-meter sprint crown in a time of 7.52 and set a new personal record in the long jump with a distance of 5.90 meters (19' 4.25"), good enough for first place. She topped her previous distance of 5.80 meters (19' 0.25") from the ECAC DIII Championships in 2017.

Meanwhile, Campbell earned the high jump title by clearing the bar at 1.65 meters (5' 5"), which happened to be her third high jump title of the indoor season. Overall, Campbell has had a fantastic debut season on the Banks. 

Head coach James Robinson not only hopes to have a strong performance this weekend, he’s expecting it from his team. 

When talking about the advantage Rutgers has over other teams last week, Robinson said that it has much to do with the depth of the team and how it is able to get contributions from every part of the team. 

"It was a very impressive team win as we received contributions from almost every event group," Robinson said talking about the win last week. "We only had four individual champions, but yet were able to score many points. This accomplishment is a testament to our ability to establish our depth. We're very proud of this young team."

For updates on the Rutgers women's track and field team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Ian Quinn