WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts | February 2, 2017

Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 6.46.54 PM

OUT WITH OPIOIDS

Rutgers’ New Jersey Medical School (NJMS) will require all of its students to receive training that qualifies them to prescribe buprenorphine, a medication to treat against opioid abuse disorder. Buprenorphine has the ability to both reduce addict dependency and partially satisfy one's craving for the drug, preventing withdrawal and other complications. Opioid abuse is an enormous issue, especially in New Jersey, and the trend is only increasing. We laurel NJMS for making this a requirement and helping push toward an opioid addiction free population.

EDUCATIONAL EXHIBITS

More than 500 students and members of the community helped put together the “States of Incarceration” exhibit in the Mabel Smith Douglass Library on Douglass campus. The exhibit displays information about the prison system in the United States, such as incarceration rates and the number of detained immigrants. We thank the library for hosting this eye-opening exhibit, but dart the parts of this country’s history that have made ripple effects that still show themselves today, like we see with the justice system.

RESPECT TO RESEARCHERS

John McGann, an associate professor in the Department of Psychology, has conducted research with regard to biological systems of the sense of smell and the ways the brain adapts to different odors. Specializing in behavioral neuroscience, his work focuses on the brains and olfactory senses of rodents and is then generalized to humans. On Friday, he gave a presentation about his study for the Center for Human Evolutionary Studies. We laurel John McGann and professors like him who, through their impressive research, are able to show the world the value of Rutgers.

A STEP BACK 

On Tuesday night, the Rutgers Men’s Basketball team lost to Illinois, the lowest-ranked team in the Big Ten at the time, by 31 points. After starting off this season reasonably strong, the team has been on a disappointing downward trend. While sports are just a game, they work to build a strong sense of community of school pride. That is why despite the fact that we always offer our support to all of our sports teams and have faith in their futures, we dart the backward momentum of the men’s basketball team. 

EXCELLENT EMPLOYMENT RATES

Rutgers University was found to have beaten the national employment rate average for students after graduation. According to the National Association of Colleges and Employers, in 2016, 81 percent of bachelor degree graduates either had a job or were attending graduate school within six months of obtaining their degree. Rutgers’ rate of employment or graduate school attendance was placed at 86 percent, 5 percent more than the national average. This is likely in part to the many services offered to Rutgers students in the realm of career advice, as well as our University’s general good name in the area. We laurel the Office of Career Services for doing what it takes to help Rutgers graduates find their path after graduation.  

TIME, PLACE AND MANNER

On Monday, multiple makeshift banners were found hanging in miscellaneous areas around campus that demanded the University raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour. This came after a recent increase at the start of January to $11 an hour. One of the banners, for example, was found hanging over the Brower Commons steps and was being held up by loose cinder blocks. Though we acknowledge the fact that these are groups fighting for a valiant cause, we dart the manner in which whoever put up these banners chose to express their view. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________