WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts | February 9, 2017

Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 6.46.54 PM

HELP STUDENT PARENTS

Being a student is difficult enough in and of itself, but when you add parenthood to the mix it can seem almost impossible without help from your institution of higher education. Unsatisfied with the minimal help they had received from the University, Rutgers Students With Children (RSWC) has been pushing to be heard by the University administration for the past two years. In an open letter to Barchi, RSWC discussed its task in advocating for institutional reform with regard to student parents. They have had over 35 meetings with members of the administration, and have received more than 400 signatures on their petition. We laurel RSWC for their efforts, and consider their work in speaking up for themselves inspiring. 

BUDGET DROP, TUITION HOP

This year, Rutgers students saw tuition increase to an all-time high of $14,638 with additional fees, which represents a rise from last year of about 1.85 percent. According to the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, there has been a steady national decline in state funding of colleges and universities. Decreases in state funding, in many cases, leads to a forced increase in tuition to balance costs and expenses. Luckily, New Jersey’s budget cuts to higher education have not been as high as other states, but we are still seeing the effects here at Rutgers. We dart the decrease in access to higher education that results from increasing tuition rates. 

STRIDES FOR DIAGNOSIS

Rutgers New Jersey Medical School researchers have developed a two-minute questionnaire to aid in the early detection of autism. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1 in 68 children in the United States has autism spectrum disorder. Identifying and diagnosing those born with this disorder as soon as possible is important, and often times low-income families do not have access to the resources necessary for a timely diagnosis. The survey developed at Rutgers correctly identifies autism in toddlers 88 percent of the time. We laurel the researchers involved with this development for their work in taking steps to make autism less of a struggle for families.

ADDICTION IS AWFUL

JUULs have become increasingly popular among young people in recent months. These devices, which are an alternative to cigarettes, allow one to get their nicotine buzz by way of flavorful vapor. While they are successful, in some cases, in allowing smokers to wean off of their harmful addiction, their attractive designs and flavors have turned a number of previously nicotine-free young people into addicts. Since they give off no blatant smells, JUULs can be easily used at all times of the day, including in class and at work. Considering the potentially harmful additives in JUULs, we dart the fact that they have become such an infatuation among young people. 

SUCCESS IN OUR FUTURE

A gift of $15 million has been granted to Rutgers Athletics by Rutgers alumni Gary and Barbara Rodkin, which will go toward the construction of a new academic center for student athletes. The center, called The Gary and Barbara Rodkin Center for Academic Success, will be located on Scarlet Knight Way on Busch campus. Working to improve all aspects of our University’s departments, including athletics, will further the growth in prestige of Rutgers. A successful athletic department, which this center will help achieve, will entail more elite students being drawn to our school. We laurel Gary and Barbara Rodkin for their generous donation. 

LET THEM BE

Three undocumented immigrants who were previously seeking sanctuary in the Reformed Church of Highland Park in order to avoid being deported were able to leave on Monday after a federal judge temporarily halted Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) action. Arthur Jemmy, Harry Pangemanan and Yohanes Tasik had been seeking refuge in the church since early October, and are all Christian Indonesian immigrants. While we are relieved to see these men able to walk free at least temporarily, we dart the overly tough immigration policies being pushed by certain members of the government which make the lives of people simply seeking to work and live more difficult. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________