2 online graduate programs at Rutgers rank for affordability, high standards

physcology-rutgers.edu
Photo by Rutgers.edu |

Online Psychology Degrees ranked the University’s Online Master of Education in Learning seventh on a list of the Top 15 Master’s in Child and Adolescent Psychology Online Degree Programs in 2018.  

Ranging from cost effectiveness to highest quality, two online graduate-degree programs at Rutgers have been recognized in recent rankings for their respective affordability and standards.

In its top-10 ranking of “Low-cost Online Finance Ph.D Programs,” Grad School Hub placed the Rutgers online Ph.D. in Finance at number nine on the list. The average graduate tuition for the program is $14,372 per year and the degree requires 60 credit hours of coursework, a research paper and a dissertation, according to the ranking. 

Grad School Hub put the ranking together based on data from the National Center for Education Statistics College Navigator, according to its methodology. It looked at an initial pool of 80 potential schools before choosing a final 10 based on in-state graduation tuition rates. They then listed the schools in descending order.

“This ranking highlights 10 of the most affordable programs in this field,” according to the ranking. “Ranging from well-known online colleges to prestigious universities that are respected for their finance programs, these 10 schools all have Ph.D. in Finance online options.”

The other program, the Online Master of Education in Learning, Cognition and Development, was ranked seventh in the “Top 15 Master’s in Child and Adolescent Psychology Online Degree Programs 2018” ranking by Online Psychology Degrees (OPD). 

OPD created the ranking to highlight the best online degrees in child-development psychology, according to the ranking’s methodology. To determine the best schools, it rated the graduate programs in affordability, accessibility, experiential learning and coursework.

For accessibility, it considered what percentage of the program’s classes are available online. In this ranking, almost all of the programs offered all of their classes online, according to the methodology. For experiential learning, OPD looked at any opportunities that the various programs had for hands-on education. When considering coursework, it examined what percentage of the program’s classes focus specifically on child psychology.

In the ranking, OPD included programs in child and adolescence psychology, developmental psychology, human development and education, other related fields and general psychology programs with youth-related specializations. With the highest possible score being a 10, OPD assigned points to each program and calculated the final numbers, according to the methodology. 

In seventh place, Rutgers received a score of 8.02. The University’s program averages $24,429 yearly in tuition and fees and is the only Master of Education program to make the list, according to the ranking. 

OPD drew its data from the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System, the National Center for Education Statistics College Navigator and the Great Plains Interactive Distance Education Alliance, according to the ranking.

“Child psychology is a field that focuses on human development in the early stages of the lifespan,” according to the ranking. “Professionals in this discipline act as experts in behavioral issues, social problems and emotional and cognitive factors that uniquely affect the well-being of infants, children and adolescents.”

Ryan Stiesi

Ryan Stiesi is a School of Arts and Sciences junior majoring in journalism and media studies and minoring in entrepreneurship. He is an Associate News Editor @ The Daily Targum.