Chancellor for Diversity and Inclusion at Rutgers steps down from his position

Screen Shot 2018-03-06 at 10.18.12 PM
Photo by YouTube |

Dr. Jorge Schement, Vice Chancellor for Diversity and Inclusion, will stepped down from his position to reunite with members from the School of Communication and Information and to resume his teaching position.

Dr. Jorge Schement, vice chancellor of the Office of Diversity and Inclusion and distinguished professor of Communication Policy and Latino Studies, will step down from his position to reunite with the School of Communication and Information faculty and return to his life as a teacher, according to an email from Chancellor Debasish Dutta on Monday. 

In 2008, Schement returned to Rutgers, where he had formerly served as a faculty member, to take on the role of dean of what was then the School of Communication, Information and Library Studies (SCILS). Dutta said after five years in that position, Schement stepped further into his career as a Scarlet Knight by embracing a new and important role — the University’s first vice president, and later vice chancellor, for Institutional Diversity and Inclusion. 

His job has been ensuring that Rutgers remains a welcoming, inclusive community for all students from all backgrounds. 

Dutta said there will be upcoming announcements on ways that the University will honor Schement’s work during his time as vice chancellor. 

Schement’s work has reached many students from different departments. He has worked in the Department of Journalism and Media Studies, the Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy, according to the School of Communication and Information website.

Dutta said that while the University will be announcing plans for the next leader of Diversity and Inclusion, he is grateful for Schement and his dedication to his job. 

“We will greatly miss Jorge and his work in this area so critical to our identity and mission,” Dutta said. 

Erica D'Costa

Erica D'Costa is a School of Arts and Sciences junior majoring in journalism and media studies and minoring in business administration and political science. She is an Associate News Editor @The Daily Targum.