Hillary Clinton is coming to Rutgers

Hillary_Clinton_Arizona_2016
Photo by Wikimedia |

Hillary Clinton — a former U.S. Secretary of State and Democratic presidential candidate — is slated to speak at the College Avenue gymnasium later this month at an event hosted by the Eagleton Institute of Politics.

Former U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton will visit Rutgers on March 29 for a conversation hosted by the Rutgers Eagleton Institute of Politics, according to an email announcement from Chancellor Debasish Dutta on Friday. 

Clinton will sit down with Ruth B. Mandel, director of the institute, from 4:30 to 6 p.m. at the College Avenue Gymnasium to reflect on her extensive political career. She will visit Rutgers as the Eagleton Institute’s 2017-2018 Clifford P. Case Professor of Public Affairs.

Clinton will discuss American democracy and her revolutionary presence in the women’s political movement as a former female presidential nominee, according to the email. 

"Eagleton is proud to host the most important American political woman of our time," Mandel said, according to NJ Advance Media. "As a public leader, Hillary Rodham Clinton has crossed traditional boundaries, making both history and headlines ... This visit will afford our students and the Rutgers community an opportunity to witness a conversation with the person behind the media fog."

Clinton is one of several high-profile political leaders to visit the Rutgers community. The University hosted former Vice President Joe Biden in the fall to speak on sexual assault on college campuses. Rutgers also saw former President Barack Obama as the commencement speaker for the Class of 2016. 

Although the general admission to this event is free, the University will pay Clinton $25,000 to speak, according to NJ Advance Media. Tickets will be available for the Rutgers community starting March 6, and will then open to the public on March 12, according to the email. 

“Rutgers contributes to our nation’s conversations about politics, policy and other issues affecting society,” Dutta said, according to TAPintoNewBrunswick. “Our academic mission and innovative research and teaching create an environment in which global thought-leaders such as Secretary Clinton can share their experiences and perspectives. We welcome her and look forward to a fulfilling conversation with the Rutgers community.” 

Erica D'Costa

Erica D'Costa is a School of Arts and Sciences junior majoring in journalism and media studies and minoring in business administration and political science. She is an Associate News Editor @The Daily Targum.