More white supremacy flyers appear at Rutgers

front-identityevropa-twitter
Photo by Twitter and Twitter |

Spotted in front of the Sojourner Truth Apartments, Identity Evropa flyers were also photographed next to the Douglass Student Center and near the Ravine Bridge on Douglass campus. The images were posted on the organization’s Twitter.

Last week, new white supremacy flyers were spotted on campus that mirrored those found last semester by the same organization. 

Identity Evropa, a group that self-describes itself as “a fraternal organization for people of European heritage located in the United States” has had its flyers taken down by the Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD), according to an article from the New Jersey Office of Homeland Security and Preparedness.

Some of the flyers were found on a post in front of the Sojourner Truth Apartments, near the Douglass Student Center and by the Ravine Bridge next to the Mason Gross School of the Arts, as seen in a tweet by the organization.  

Last semester its flyers were found on the College Avenue, Douglass and Livingston campuses with the phrase “Our Generation, Our Future, Our Last Chance” written across and the organization's name in bold letters at the bottom, according to an article by The Daily Targum

This time around the organization sported flyers with its name and emblem centered in the middle, along with other variations of those spotted last year that featured Identity Evropa in large bold letters and images of its members in the background. 

"The group has made a concerted effort to display posters at colleges and universities nationwide as part of #ProjectSeige, an outreach effort to connect with students,” according to the Homeland Security site.

The organization was founded in March 2016, and it has since joined the ranks of other white supremacy groups entering the public sector under a more discrete alias.

“While traditional white supremacist organizations have focused on 'rebranding,' new white supremacist groups have emerged, promoting a purist European identity and recruiting younger, educated members. Many of these groups originated on social media platforms, such as 4chan, 8chan, Twitter and Reddit, but they have expanded activities, to include distributing recruitment posters on campuses and inciting violence at protests and rallies across the United States,” according to the site. 

In an interview with The Tab last semester, the organization’s founder Nathan Damigo, a student at California State, said the organization had visited more than 40 colleges and has people at Rutgers, among other schools, according to the article. 

“We’ve got people at around 60 to 70 schools across the country. We’ve probably got around 300 members, last I checked,” Damigo said. 

In a statement to MyCentralJersey.com, Rutgers University—New Brunswick spokesman Neal Buccino said, "Rutgers University—New Brunswick condemns all forms of bias, which have no place in our society or on our campus ... The flyers were not posted by a recognized University organization and violated our posting guidelines and policy." 

Buccino said the flyers were taken down after being reported to RUPD.

Christian Zapata

News@dailytargum.com

Christian Zapata is a School of Arts and Sciences junior majoring in journalism and media studies and minoring in philosophy. He is the News Editor @ The Daily Targum.