Spring Streaming: Movies, TV New to Netflix, Hulu and Amazon this April

Hulu, Netflix and Amazon Prime Video are bringing forth an out-with-the-old, in-with-the-new practice, as the streaming services are removing multiple TV series and films from their websites to make room for new content. With these new additions ranging from critically acclaimed original shows to classic horror films and laugh-out-loud comedy movies and specials, there will be plenty of options to choose from.

With much anticipation, Hulu’s popular original series "The Handmaid’s Tale" will be returning for its second season on April 25. After its first season debuted on Hulu in 2017, this series won in the best drama category at both the Golden Globes in addition to actress Elisabeth Moss winning the best lead actress category at both ceremonies. Adapted from Margaret Atwood’s 1985 novel of the same name, the series will continue to tell the story of handmaid Offred's mission to survive in an oppressive, dystopian society. 

Also arriving on Hulu will be the third and final season of "The Carmichael Show," which will be released on April 30. This sitcom is about the life of a stand-up comedian, Jerrod Carmichael, and features funny it-girl Tiffany Haddish. NBC’s live musical program "Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert" starring musicians John Legend, Alice Cooper and Sara Bareilles will be available on Hulu on April 2, just one day after its network television premiere.

Both retro and modern classic horror films will begin streaming on Hulu starting April 1. 1976's "Carrie," based on the novel by Stephen King, 1980’s "Friday the 13th" and 2007’s "Paranormal Activity" will all be available to watch for a scary movie marathon. Also to be released on Hulu on April 1is the 1993 Olympic inspired film "Cool Runnings," which tells the true story of a 1988 Jamaican bobsled team and the 2011 comedy "50/50," which stars Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Seth Rogan and Anna Kendrick. On April 15, the three time 1997 Academy Award winning Italian film "Life is Beautiful" will be available on Hulu. This best actor, musical score and foreign language film winner follows the emotional journey of a father attempting to protect his young son from the horrors of the Holocaust. Hulu will be releasing their original documentary film "Tiny Shoulders: Rethinking Barbie" on April 27, that examines pop culture over the years along with the development of the doll.

A wide variety of original content will also be arriving on Netflix throughout April. The comedy "The Week Of" will be released on April 27 and stars Adam Sandler and Chris Rock as parents struggling to finalize plans before their daughter and son’s wedding. Another original movie to stream on Netflix during the next month is the basketball drama "Amateur," which will be available on April 6. Two documentaries will be released on April 27, the film "The Rachel Divide," which focuses on the controversy surrounding Rachel Dolezal’s self-description of being "transracial" back in 2015, and political series "Bobby Kennedy for President," which tells the story of the public support and death of former United States senator, Robert F. Kennedy, in the 1960s.

Netflix will begin streaming the first season of TNT’s historical drama "The Alienist" on April 19. This crime series stars Daniel Brühl, Luke Evans and Dakota Fanning as investigators of a New York serial killer in the 1890s. The science-fiction drama "Lost in Space" will be available on Netflix on April 13. This Netflix original series follows a family who must learn how to survive on a foreign planet after their space shuttle crashes. On April 17, "The Honeymoon Stand Up Special: Collection" will be released, which is a Netflix original series of stand-up comedy acts.

Amazon Prime Video is more up-and-coming in the streaming world compared to Hulu and Netflix, but it arguably offers the best movie and TV content. Prime will begin streaming critically-acclaimed films such as "The Florida Project," which will be released on April 6. Actor Willem Dafoe was nominated for best supporting actor at this year’s Academy Awards ceremony for his role in the movie. On April 5, thriller "The Killing of a Sacred Deer" will be released on Amazon, which stars Colin Farrell and Nicole Kidman as a couple who ideal-family life turns to chaos when an unexpected threat arises. The Amazon original documentary series "All or Nothing," which follows different NFL team members' and coaches' lives during the extent of a full season, will return for a third season on April 27 covering the Dallas Cowboys. Another Amazon original series that will be released in April is the crime drama "Bosch," whose fourth season will premiere on April 13. The fifth season of the History Channel’s Nordic action series "Vikings" will stream on Amazon Video starting April 24.

With all of the new additions coming to your favorite movie streaming sites, the urge to take a study break to Netflix ‘n’ chill will be especially hard to resist. 

Cassidy Smedley