Murphy declares state of emergency, Rutgers cancels classes

Rutgers_University_with_the_state_university_logo
Photo by Wikipedia |

All University offices and classes at Rutgers-New Brunswick will be closed and canceled from 8 a.m. on Wednesday, March 7, until 5 a.m. on Thursday, March 8 due to inclement weather. 

Gov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.) has declared a state of emergency, statewide, beginning at 8 p.m., according to a tweet earlier today. 

In the thread that followed he listed what precautionary measures are being taken prior to the potential storm.

The New Jersey Department of Transportation is ready to activate more than 207,000 tons of salt and 2,500 plows, spreaders, and loaders, he said. New Jersey State Police have activated the State Emergency Operations Center for round-the-clock operations and to ensure critical situations are constantly monitored.

Other resources like the New Jersey Office of Emergency Management and the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities will work to respond to requests for assistance and restore any power outages, Murphy said.

“Visit http://www.ready.nj.gov for a guide to make sure you and your family are storm ready. We are all in this together,” he said.

Shortly before 3 p.m. this afternoon, Rutgers University stated in a tweet that all University offices and classes will be closed and canceled as of 8 a.m. Wednesday, March 7, 2018, and reopen at 5 a.m. Thursday, March 8.

“Due to Wednesday's impending snowstorm, Rutgers University will close all offices and cancel all classes as of 8 a.m. Wednesday, March 7, 2018, and reopen at 5 a.m. Thursday, March 8, 2018. Classes will resume first period at each campus,” according to the tweet. 

Ryan Stiesi

Ryan Stiesi is a School of Arts and Sciences senior majoring in journalism and media studies and minoring in entrepreneurship. He is a News Editor @ The Daily Targum.