Edison cop charged with criminal mischief

copbrief-googlemaps
Photo by Google Maps |

Paul Pappas, an Edison police officer, was arrested on Hiram Square in New Brunswick on charges of criminal mischief. Pappas has been stripped of both his gun and badge.

An Edison police officer has been charged with criminal mischief and stripped of both gun and badge following accusations of slashing someone’s car tires in a domestic dispute that happened in New Brunswick.

Paul Pappas, a 15-year veteran of the police force, was arrested on criminal mischief charges at approximately 10 p.m. Monday on Hiram Square in New Brunswick, said New Brunswick Police Department (NBPD) Capt. J.T. Miller, according to an NJ Advance Media article.

"Further comment would be inappropriate at this time except to say the police officer involved has been relieved of his badge and service weapon pending further investigation," said Edison Attorney William Northgrave, according to the article.

In a follow-up report yesterday, NJ Advance Media reported that after signing in on Monday, the officer drove an unmarked car to New Brunswick and slashed a tire on his ex-girlfriend’s car.

Officials from Edison and from the NBPD did not comment further, calling the incident a "personnel matter" and calling the case a domestic incident, respectively, according to the follow-up report.

Spokeswoman Andrea Boulton said on Thursday that the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office is reviewing the case, according to the follow-up report.

Ryan Stiesi

Ryan Stiesi is a School of Arts and Sciences senior majoring in journalism and media studies and minoring in entrepreneurship. He is a News Editor @ The Daily Targum.