Easy, sweet, no-bake recipes for lazy chefs

We’re in college, so not everyone has a complete kitchen to bake homemade goods in, or even a kitchen at all. It’s more common to host a bare bones set-up in your residence hall, consisting of a microwave, a toaster and maybe a few measuring cups. This naturally cancels out many of your top baking endeavors. But you don’t need an oven to savor delectable sweets in your room, because there are plenty of bakeless desserts you can prepare. For now, you can start with truffles and a vegan cookie recipe.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Truffles

From hot dates to study seshes, truffles make life so much sweeter, especially when you can easily craft them from your favorite flavors. This recipe, found on Spoon University, allows you to transform basic ingredients into a winning, salty-sweet combination. You might even have everything you’ll need for it lying in your pantry. If you’re feeling frisky, substitute almond, cashew or even sunflower seed butter for peanuts.  

Prep time: 15 minutes

“Cook” time: 45 minutes

Total: 1 hour

Ingredients:

2 cups of your favorite peanut butter
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 cups crushed pretzels
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 bags chocolate chips, semisweet or milk

Directions:

1. Combine peanut butter and butter in a mixing bowl, electric or not, until you achieve a creamy, smooth consistency
  2. Gradually add powdered sugar to the mix
  3. Mix in the crushed pretzels until the consistency is dough-like
  4. Take the mixture in heaping teaspoons and shape them into balls, placing them onto a baking sheet as you go
  5. Refrigerate the balls for 30 minutes
  6. Melt chocolate chips in a microwave for 1 minute and 30 seconds, or until smooth, as the truffles cool down — be sure to stir the chocolate halfway through so it doesn’t burn
  7. Use a spoon to dip the balls into the chocolate and fully coat them, then place the balls back onto the baking sheet
  8. Freeze or refrigerate the balls until the chocolate hardens — this will take about 30 minutes
  9. Serve right away, or refrigerate until it’s time
  10. Enjoy!

Vegan, No-Bake Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies

To all the vegans out there, this one’s for you, because who said you needed an oven or animal byproducts to bake delicious cookies? Plus, this one’s minimal and quick.

Prep time: 5 minutes

“Cook” time: 25 minutes

Total: 30 minutes

Ingredients:

1 cup natural, unsalted creamy peanut butter

1/2 cup pure maple syrup
2 cups gluten-free rolled oats

Directions:

1. Line a baking sheet with wax paper, set aside
  2. In a medium, microwave-safe bowl (big enough for 2 cups of oats!), add peanut butter and maple syrup, then whisk it all together until well mixed
  3. Heat in 20-second increments in the microwave until the mixture is warm and begins to dry out (about 4-7 rounds), whisk in between heating increments
  4. Add oats to the peanut butter mixture, stir and fold until combined
  5. Using a teaspoon, scoop and drop balls of cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheet
  6. Using a fork, flatten cookies to desired thickness
  7. Chill in the freezer up until 25 mins, until firm and completely cooled
  8. Serve immediately or refrigerate until then
  9. Enjoy!

If these ones don’t do it for you, you can always try out the many more bake-free recipes out there, like the famous Magnolia Bakery’s banana pudding. In the end, it doesn’t take the fanciest kitchenware to bake the best treats. All you need is a microwave, a love for peanut butter and a little time. 

Abigail Lyon