Rutgers drops ball against Iona, 12-3

The Rutgers baseball team dropped its second game in a row, losing at home to Iona (3-7) 12-3 in eight innings Tuesday afternoon. The 12 runs were the most the team allowed so far this season. 

Making his first collegiate start, freshman pitcher Collin Kiernan started the afternoon by pitching two scoreless innings and getting run support from his offense, who scored 1 run in the first. After exiting the third with runners on second and third, sophomore Tevin Murray came in and allowed 3 runs, 2 of which were charged to Kiernan. 

After the Scarlet Knights (5-6) responded with a run in the bottom of the third, the Gaels started to pull away by scoring 5 runs in the top of the fifth, making it a 6-run game. 

Rutgers once again tried to chip away at the lead by scoring a run in the seventh, but Iona put up another 4 in the eighth. The game was called after the eighth ended due to darkness.

Sophomore shortstop Kevin Welsh was the Knights’ top hitter, going 3-3, while fifth-year senior designated hitter Chris Folinusz and junior third baseman Carmen Sclafani each had two hits. 

Rutgers had 10 or more hits for the sixth time this season, but went 1-for-10 with runners in scoring position. The Gaels, on the other hand, went 6-for-12.

As for pitching, Kiernan suffered the loss in his first start, sophomore Tommy Genuario pitched a season-high 3 and two-thirds innings in relief and freshman Jacob Kodrus made his first collegiate appearance, striking out one batter. 

The Knights head to Fort Myers, Florida for seven spring break games, starting with a three-game series against Army (6-4) Friday through Sunday.

The Black Knights are currently on a three-game winning streak, and have two players currently holding Patriot League honors — Jacob Hurtubise was named Player of Week, while Anthony Giachin was named Rookie of the Week. 

Over that stretch, Hurtubise went 6-10 with a .900 slugging percentage, .733 on base percentage and 8 runs scored. Giachin batted .538 and had two multi-hit games, including a 4-5 performance over Bryant. 

Following the Army series, Rutgers will play one game against Florida International and three against Florida Gulf Coast.

For updates on the Rutgers baseball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Jordan Farbowitz