Rutgers full-time MBA program ranks number 1 for job placement

24396_businessbuildingjeffreyf

The University's MBA program was ranked number 1 for job placement within the Northeast in Bloomberg Businessweek’s “Best Graduate Schools of 2017." Rutgers graduates are typically able to find employment within three months of graduation and on average earn $154,700 in yearly compensation.

Rutgers’ full-time MBA program was recognized as the No. 1 program for job placement within the Northeast by Bloomberg Businessweek’s “Best Graduate Schools of 2017” survey, according to Rutgers Business School website. Rutgers was also credited with the No. 2 rating of job placement nationally. 

The survey's methodology for rating job placement is based on the quality of recent graduates in full-time MBA programs. The University’s MBA program charts highly in these areas. 

“For the full-time program, we’re really good with people who want to further their careers, who want to be connected to people in the area of New York and New Jersey,” said Daniel Stoll, University director of Communications and Marketing. 

Rutgers MBA graduates are typically able to find gainful employment within a maximum of three months post graduation, and on average, achieve $154,700 in annual compensation six to eight years into their careers, according to the site. 

These jobs often provide a strong return-on-investment (ROI) as well, mitigating the expenses of the MBA program up to 82 percent after graduation, according. These accolades are just part of the backbone that launched the MBA program into the number one spot among Big Ten business schools for ROI. 

The other strengths of the MBA program’s success come from students and faculty. Stoll is in charge of overseeing many of the MBA program's operations from marketing perspectives, and knows well the caliber of candidates that come to the Rutgers MBA program. 

“They work hard. They want to take advantage of the resources that we can provide them. They want those connections and the education that we can give them,” he said. 

The Rutgers MBA program excels in versatility, as well. The survey showed diversity in careers for recent graduates, ranging from consulting and finances to health care and technology. In addition, the program offers a swath of different specializations for its full-time MBA students, an attractive feature for many candidates. 

“We get a bunch of out-of-state students. While the majority are from the area, we get some from California, Texas and even some international students,” Stoll said. “We have strengths. Students get that real world experience when they go through the program, and I think they know that coming in.”

The methodology and real-world mindset that the program dedicates itself to is a large part of what it means to be a Rutgers MBA student. 

“As soon as students come into the program, I stress, and the faculty stresses, the importance of what businesses are looking for in potential candidates,” said Ivan Brick, chair of the Department of Finance and Economics in the Rutgers Business School. “I always ask the following question to incoming MBA students: ‘How many people read The Wall Street Journal or business magazine on a regular basis?’ I usually get a few hands. Then, I say, ‘Okay, how many of you have a hobby or activity that you do regularly?’ Many more hands come up. And I say this: ‘You want to go into an interview, and you want to show that you’re interested and passionate about business, but you don’t read up on what’s going on in the business world on a regular basis?’ I find that drives the point home for these students and gives them a good idea of what is expected of them in this program.” 

This idea of living and breathing business at Rutgers is enriched by the University. The Business School offers many different employment gatherings and networking meetups in addition to its education. Many of the University's department heads are also well connected to business journals, write articles and constantly work to innovate and update the curriculum for the program.

“The difference between Rutgers graduates and other graduates is that they don’t expect others to do work for them. If they don’t fully understand how to achieve and solve a problem, they will stay dedicated to finding a solution,” Brick said. “ ... Our students are more resilient, more willing to roll up their sleeves and learn what they have to in order to complete their job.” 

Viranch Kumar, a Class of 2016 Rutgers alumnus, mentioned the value that Rutgers offers for many prospective students. 

“It’s a public school that has massive connections throughout the area and comes at a relatively cheap cost. Rutgers is all about value, and the MBA program is no different. It might not have the prestige of the competition, but as a whole, Rutgers is the right choice,” Kumar said.

Logan Paul