October 15, 2018 | ° F

Rutgers puts 5 on the podium at Bulls Invitational

The Rutgers men’s track and field team opened the outdoor season at the University of South Florida's Bulls Invitational in Tampa, Florida. The Scarlet Knights brought most of their field athletes down South, while sweeping the podium in the javelin throw to highlight the competition.

Sophomore Greg Harnett, senior Matthew Krezmer and sophomore Michael Thomas took the top three spots in the javelin throw, respectively, and by a long shot. Harnett led Rutgers with a 63.72-meter (209’ 1”) throw followed by runner-up Krezmer with a 62.65-meter (205’ 6”) throw. 

Thomas capped the third spot for the Knights in the event with a 60.84-meter (199’ 7”) throw. Fourth-place finisher Shawn Scornaienchi of VCU, produced a mark of 54.54 meters (178’ 11”), well behind the Rutgers’ trio.

The Knights have a deep field of javelin throwers with senior Chris Mirabelli leading the pack. Mirabelli is last year’s Big Ten champion and First Team All-American in this event.

Producing another event win in the triple jump was junior Jairus Paul. Paul jumped 15.02 meters (49’ 3.50”) to finish on top of the podium for collegiate athletes, but was fourth overall at the invite.

Additionally, freshman Malachi Davis recorded a mark of 14.80 meters (48’ 6.75”) for a fourth-place collegiate finish and seventh among all competitors. Davis showed his versatility with a 23.09-second run in the 200-meter dash, winning in his section.

In the high jump, sophomore Perry Christie logged a 1.95-meter (6’ 4.75”) leap for a four-way tie for fourth-place in the event. 

On the track, freshman Edwyn Pierre recorded a time of 14.80 seconds to finish in the top eight of the 110-meter hurdles. Pierre sprinted to the fifth-place position in the event among collegiate runners.

Classmate Boaz Madeus also threw down a collegiate best in the 400-meter hurdles to take the runner-up spot with a time of 52.95. Madeus has been known for running middle-distance events, such as the 400-meter to 600-meter, but his specialty lies in the 400-meter hurdles. 

The Hamilton, New Jersey native was named the No. 5 400-meter hurdler in the nation, according to MileSplit.

“It was a pretty good indoor season. I was testing out a lot of different events that I haven’t done in high school like the 500 and 600, so I mean I’m excited to go into outdoor and get back to what I’m familiar with, the 400 hurdles,” Madeus said. “There’s been great training up until this point, and coach and I’ve been doing a great job getting me into shape so I don’t really see any issues with that transition going into outdoor season.”

Rutgers is just getting things started this outdoor season as the team heads back to Florida for the Florida Relays from March 29-31 in Gainesville.

For updates on the Rutgers men’s track and field team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Alexandra Fabugais-Inaba