June 18, 2018 | ° F

Rutgers ends indoor season at IC4A Championships

The Rutgers men’s track and field team lit up the IC4A Indoor championships at Boston University this weekend. Held as a last chance meet for athletes to qualify for the NCAA Championships, the Scarlet Knights put up some phenomenal performances to end off the indoor season.

Freshman Boaz Madeus obliterated his personal best in the 500-meter to win the event. Madeus came into the competition with a best time of 1:03.75 from the Metropolitan Championships in early February and dropped a 1:02.67 to shave more than a full second off his previous PR.

Freshman Taj Burgess reciprocated Madeus’s performance with two personal bests in the 200-meter and 400-meter to claim the runner-up position in both events. Burgess recorded a PR of 46.76 in the 400-meter, which would’ve put a bronze medal around his neck at the Big Ten Indoor Championships a week ago. 

He then followed up his 400-meter performance with a PR of 21.44 in the 200-meter. After the Big Ten's, Burgess said his goal was to be 46 mid or low in the outdoor season and the progress that he has made in just this past week bodes well for the upcoming competitions.

In the field events, sophomore Tobi Tella bounced his way to the top of the podium in the triple jump, posting a mark of 15.38 meters (50’ 5.5”). Also competing in the triple jump was freshman Ja’quan Mial, who snuck into the top eight with a seventh-place finish at 14.69 meters (48’ 2.5”).

Other final performances came from junior Jairus Paul and sophomore Perry Christie. Paul jumped to third in the long jump with a mark of 7.15 meters (23’ 5.5”), while Christie came up with a jump of 2.05 meters (6’ 8.75”) for a fifth-place finish in the high jump.

Rutgers took hard hits in the distance medley relay and 4x800-meter relay. The distance medley fell to last place in a time of 10:08.77 and the 4x800-relay team dropped from its second-place prelims spot to eighth in a time of 7:37.40.

The 4x400-relay team finished in second place with a 3:10.48, which was more than 2 seconds faster than the 3:12.51 it ran for the 4x400-meter relay at Big Ten's. 

With no athletes qualifying for the NCAA championships next weekend, the Knights won’t compete again until after spring break. In Tampa, Florida, Rutgers will move toward warmer weather for the team’s first outdoor season competition at the Bulls invitational on March 22-23.

For updates on the Rutgers men's track and field team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Alexandra Fabugais-Inaba