ONE Rutgers wins RUSA election, preliminary results say

rusa election
Photo by Nicole Lagos |

RUSA released its preliminary results for this year’s student government election.

The preliminary Rutgers University Student Assembly (RUSA) election results are in. It is important to note that these results are unofficial, but currently the One Rutgers ticket is projected to have won.

Suzanne Link and Jaidev Phadke, School of Arts and Sciences juniors, are the presidential and vice-presidential candidates, respectively, who ran under the One Rutgers ticket, and are the projected winners, according to the unofficial results. The results show the pair received 2,453 votes.

RUSA posted on its Facebook page this afternoon announcing that the preliminary results were in.

“Below is a list of elected students broken down by position. 7225 students voted, which is about a 50 percent increase from the previous year. Unless otherwise indicated, all positions elect the top candidate. Where indicated, the number of candidates elected is in parentheses next to the name of the position," according to the unofficial results.

One of the main points of the One Rutgers platform was college affordability, according to The Daily Targum. The ticket said it plans to fight for an increase in the maximum award for Pell Grant recipients, work to assure food access to Rutgers students struggling with food insecurity and advocate for the Employer Participation in Student Loan Repayment Act.

These results are preliminary. The certification deadline is April 10, and results might be certified prior to the date depending on whether appeals are resolved, according to the unofficial results.

Ryan Stiesi

Ryan Stiesi is a School of Arts and Sciences senior majoring in journalism and media studies and minoring in entrepreneurship. He is a News Editor @ The Daily Targum.