Rutgers student dies during snowboarding trip

Euna Shin was a School of Engineering sophomore. She died on Thursday as a result of head injuries sustained while skiing at Blue Mountain Resort in Pennsylvania. – Photo by Facebook

A Rutgers student died on Thursday from injuries she received while snowboarding at Blue Mountain Resort in Pennsylvania.

Euna Shin, a 20-year-old from Piscataway, New Jersey, and a School of Engineering sophomore, was pronounced dead at 5:36 p.m. on Thursday at the Lehigh Valley Hospital in Salisbury Township, according to a report by NJ Advance Media.

She died as a result of head injuries following a fall that happened the day before, at approximately 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday while she was snowboarding, according to the report.

Lehigh County Coroner Scott Grim said that Shin was wearing a helmet during the fall, according to the report. He ruled her death an accident.

In an email sent yesterday afternoon, Rutgers—New Brunswick Chancellor Debasish Dutta said, “I am greatly saddened by Euna’s death, and I hope you will join me in offering your thoughts and prayers to her family and friends.”

Shin was actively involved on campus, he said. She was on the executive board of the Honors College Knights’ Table and was an Honors College Ally who worked to support younger students with related majors.

“Euna was a very engaged student — she excelled academically and was active in our community,” Dutta said.

In the email, he provided resources for students seeking grief or support. He said students can contact Counseling, Alcohol and Other Drug Assistance Program & Psychiatric Services (CAPS) at 848-932-7884 or visit centers at 17 Senior Street or 61 Nichol Avenue in New Brunswick. 

He also provided contact information for the Dean of Students Office at 848-932-230, the Multifaith Council at 848-932-5500, the crisis text line which can be reached by texting  KNIGHTS to 741-741 anytime and the NJ Hopeline at 1-855-654-6735.