Rutgers heads to Columbus for bout with Ohio State

Photo by Garrett Steffe |

The Rutgers women’s lacrosse team will travel to Columbus, Ohio to go for its third win in three seasons against Ohio State.

The Scarlet Knights (4-5, 0-1) are coming off three tough losses in the past week and a half, and look to rebound against the Buckeyes (3-5, 0-1). Both teams are looking for their first conference wins, which will add more excitement to the showdown.

Rutgers is looking to build off its promising second half against then-No. 17 Penn State, where it played significantly better than its slow first half. The Knights have not led after the first half since their 15-7 win over Drexel four games ago, so focusing on getting off to better starts could be the key to success.

Over Rutgers' season, it has been depending on the strong performances from junior goalkeeper Devon Kearns, who is only allowing 12.44 goals allowed per game. Kearns also leads the team with 7.13 saves per game, which can give the Knights a better chance to win the game. 

Rutgers is going to rely upon senior attacker and captain Kerri Puckhaber, who is currently leading the team in points. Puckhaber is on a hot streak, producing back-to-back hat tricks.

Also, last game she had a season-high 5 points — a hat trick and two assists. She will be trying to keep up her streak of recording at least 2 points in every game that she has started.

The Knights will also hope that their leading scorer, sophomore midfielder Samantha Budd, will return to her early season form. Budd has only recorded 2 points in her last three games, and the team is struggling without her volume scoring.

Rutgers will have to focus on Ohio State's leading scorer, junior midfielder Baley Parrott, who has scored 22 goals on the season. Parrott is coming off of a season-high 5-goal game in the Buckeyes' 9-7 loss to Michigan last Saturday. 

On the season, Ohio State has outscored its opponents 102-96, which shows its potent attacking ability at times. The Knights are also outscoring their opponents, only slightly, 113-112 on the season. 

Each team has shown an ability to stay in close games against the ranked teams it has played this season, so this game will be very interesting between two teams that match up well on paper.

The game was originally set for Thursday, but has been postponed to Friday at 1 p.m. due to expected inclement weather.

For updates on the Rutgers women's lacrosse team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Scott Brennan