Rutgers travels to Tampa for Bulls Invitational

The Rutgers women’s track and field team will hit the road again this weekend as it heads down to Tampa, Florida for the Bulls Invitational on Thursday and Friday hosted by the University of South Florida.

Twenty five total schools will be in Tampa for the event, most of them from along the eastern seaboard. The meet is for both men and women, as both the Scarlet Knight men’s and women’s track and field teams will be competing at the event. 

The meet will be held at the USF Track and Field Stadium, with events beginning at 3 p.m. on Thursday with heptathlon and the men’s hammer throw. The Friday schedule will kick off at 10 a.m. with the women’s steeplechase.

This is the second of nine outdoor meets Rutgers will be a part of this year, the first one being last week’s Yellow Jacket Invitational, and the final meet being in May at the Big Ten Championships in Bloomington, Indiana. But before the team can even think about the Big Ten Championships, it has to take care of business this week in Florida.

In Georgia last week, the Knights got their outdoor season off to a solid start when the team captured nine top 10 performances, the majority of which came from team members making their outdoor debuts, which certainly bodes well for the future of the team, both long-term and short-term. 

The jump squads in particular had a strong showing in Atlanta, as five members landed in the top 10, led by runner-up freshman Courteney Campbell in the high jump. Campbell cleared the bar at 1.70 meters for a second-place finish, while sophomores Rhonda Rogombe and Selena Thorne finished fifth and eighth in the same event, respectively.

In the triple jump, fifth-year senior Bryanna Grant took third after reaching a distance of 12.41 meters, which is a new personal record for her at Rutgers.

A pair of freshman also had a strong showing in the long jump when freshman Jacqueline Simmons placed seventh after leaping 5.64 meters, while fellow freshman Anna Czajkowski finished in 10th after reaching a distance of 5.50 meters.

In the field, the most notable performance came from junior Halia Rosemond, who finished seventh in the discus with a throw of 41.23 meters. 

And finally, on the track, freshman Dakota Gerges crossed the finish line in fourth place in the 400-meter hurdles with a time of 1:03.83 and freshman Kiera Nealon collected a time of 17:49.58 in the 5,000 meter, good enough for 10th place in the events. 

Overall, it was a solid start to the season for the Knights, one that they will certainly hope to build on this week in Florida.

For updates on the Rutgers women's track and field team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Ian Quinn