Get head start on summer reading with new April releases

Photo by Instagram |

As the end of another grueling school year finally comes to an end, the last thing on a college student’s mind might be picking up another book. Knowledge is power, though, so why not start a list of potential books for your summer reading now? If you need some inspiration, check out this list of great reads that have already been or are being released this month. 

Dred Nation By Justina Ireland

Did someone say pride, prejudice and zombies? Dred Nation is a story that follows Jane, who was born two years before the dead rises during the Civil War. In the novel, the Native and Negro Reeducation Act requires children to train and fight in combat against the dead, but Jane has other plans. While attending combat school, Jane has her mind set on becoming an attendant using her skills to guard wealthy women, but in the midst of it she finds herself in a sticky situation. This fictional spin on the American history that is taught in grade school is the perfect end of the semester read. 

America is Not the Heart By Elaine Castillo

Castillo is a California native, so it makes sense that her debut novel takes place in her hometown. The story follows Hero De Vera, a young woman who returns to the Bay Area to live with her aunt and uncle after returning from political prison in the Philippines. Set during the 80s, Hero De Vera must adapt to life outside of prison. This story follows not only her journey trying to figure out who she is, but also the perspectives of her family on her newfound freedom. 

The Female Persuasion by Meg Wolitzer

Wolitzer is the New York Times bestselling author of several books. Her latest book, which comes after the best-selling novel, "The Interestings," is a story about college first-year student, Greer Kadetsky, who meets an older woman who is involved in a women's movement, and how she steered her onto the right path toward finding her ultimate fulfillment. The novel also talks about feminist issues specifically on how second-wave feminism struggled to adopt intersectionality.

The Recovering: Intoxication and its Aftermath by Leslie Jamison

Author of the New York Times bestseller “The Empathy Exams,” Jamison is a recovering alcoholic who reminisces about her 20s and how she would resort to drinking in order to block out insecurities about herself and her relationships, according to her website. "The Recovering" is based on her experiences with this disease, and also includes the history of recovery and addiction literature by great writers and other alcoholics who inspired her when she was a young writer, according to Vogue. 

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

If you’re a fan of books turned into movies, then you’ll want to add this to your list of books to read. This novel, which takes place in the year 2045, is similar to today where people use virtual reality as an escape to get away from their day-to-day lives. Much like in today’s society, the main character, Wade Watts, uses virtual reality as a way to give his life meaning. Although the book was originally published in 2011, the film made its debut in theatres earlier this month. It’s the perfect read for readers who enjoy getting two different perspectives of the same work, one being visual and the other descriptive. 

Circe by Madeline Miller

A follow up to the 2011 novel “Song of Achilles,” Miller’s “Circe” —  named after the witch from the Odyssey who turned men into pigs — is an epic in which the main character goes on a journey to the island Aiaia, where she was banished as punishment for practicing witchcraft. Like Odysseus, Circe encounters many challenges. This is a great read for those who want a woman's perspective on a classic. 

Almier McCoy